Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: text stretched vertically

Weird. Doesn't work for me in Xara Pro 365

Quote Originally Posted by properez5 View Post
    Weird. Doesn't work for me in Xara Pro 365
    Can you explain what doesn't work?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

When I right click or hover over the lock, I do not get the option they were speaking about. In addition, text isnt stretchable on my version of Xara.
    I always have to convert it to shapes to be able to stretch my text.

Software used: Xara Pro X. I've had this version for 4 years.

When I right click or hover over the lock, I do not get the option they were speaking about. In addition, text isnt stretchable on my version of Xara.

I do not have XDPX (version 8, I assume) at hand, but in XDPX9 it works perfectly. I mean, when I unlock the aspect ratio (by simply un-checking the lock icon), text can be stretched using resize controls. Other method, not involving constant aspect ratio -lock and -unlock, is to press Ctrl+G (group) on the text object alone, resize vertically, and press Ctrl+U (ungroup).

One more thing - do you have a "text line" object, or rather a "text area" object? Because the latter does not stretch letters when resized - unless, of course, you use the grouping "hack".
    Last edited by morris; 03 April 2019 at 06:31 PM.

Then you are trapped in a Xara-created space vortex where text stretching was considered too risky for web designers.
    You will have to fight your corner to get a free upgrade as it worked before and works now with the Smart Transform 'fix' so it has to be a bug down to Xara. Right?

The sorry saga is documented in the Squishy/Squashy Thread.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Wow, what an interesting thread.
    Thanks for the how-to stretch text, I must have done this accidentally as it seemed to work, but don't know what I did :-) (Story of my life).
    PS: the right-click on the lock doesn't do anything.
    I use XPD 11 (did buy 12, but didn't like it, so have gone back to good ol' 11 :-)

Joëlle

PS: the right-click on the lock doesn't do anything.
    This was added with the most recent versions to opt out of the "better" way of doing things.

If it weren't so comical, it would be very sad.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Yesterday I matched two fonts for someone on another forum.

The sample image used by the OP was an OK image and I figured out the fonts. When I overlaid them onto the sample image it was obvious that the person who designed the image distorted the type, both horizontally and vertically. This is something designers often enough do even if it is very subtle.

Without being able to stretch and squish the type it would have been a pita...and all I was attempting was to help someone. In a real job I would have been frustrated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002672.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	123864

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Yesterday I matched two fonts for someone on another forum.
    The sample image used by the OP was an OK image and I figured out the fonts. When I overlaid them onto the sample image it was obvious that the person who designed the image distorted the type, both horizontally and vertically. This is something designers often enough do even if it is very subtle.
    Without being able to stretch and squish the type it would have been a pita...and all I was attempting was to help someone. In a real job I would have been frustrated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002672.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	123864
    Which is the position Xara has left some of its Customers in.

Acorn