Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: text stretched vertically

The handy thing though, is once you've turned Smart transform OFF, it does seem to stay OFF.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Xara used to be renowned for its easy-to-use software. Today, nobody knows for sure what they are buying and how much it will cost because of the convoluted licencing.
    But worst of all is that the program itself has become unwieldy to use with semi-hidden arcane 'features' (work-a-rounds) that actually get in the way of productivity.

I could go on, but I am likely to rant if I do so, causing me high blood pressure and the likelihood of sanctions from the forum management.

I asked myself a question a few releases of the product ago, which was; 'Are you looking forward to the next release?' I replied,'Not so much, these days' Given the lack of new vector features over recent years I think it is highly unlikely I will ever upgrade again.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

@iamtheblues software companies have their acceleration and then they slow down, that is why you should have other tools in your tool box. Serif is one that may compliment xara. All the best.

Until they encounter a black hole then they speed up but time drags.

Relatively,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Xara used to be renowned for its easy-to-use software. Today, nobody knows for sure what they are buying and how much it will cost because of the convoluted licencing.
    But worst of all is that the program itself has become unwieldy to use with semi-hidden arcane 'features' (work-a-rounds) that actually get in the way of productivity.

I could go on, but I am likely to rant if I do so, causing me high blood pressure and the likelihood of sanctions from the forum management.

I asked myself a question a few releases of the product ago, which was; 'Are you looking forward to the next release?' I replied,'Not so much, these days' Given the lack of new vector features over recent years I think it is highly unlikely I will ever upgrade again.
    While I agree that there ARE some annoyances and frustrations with the XARA software... and respect that you're one of the battle-scared veterans here at TG iamtheblues, I have a question. I have been sitting in front of computers since the Atari 512, Commodore Vic-20 and some model of an IBM Personal Computer... (imagine, and I refused to learn to code what a dope!)

If a gun nozzle were pressed against my temple... and I was told to name one, just one piece of software from my beginnings to now that did it all for me... no problems with either the software or it's creators or else. I'd be toast because I just wouldn't be able to come up with an answer... I've been down the Adobe CC route... (the list of horror stories way too long) I've been down the CorelDraw Graphics Sweet road... and quite a few others that just don't need to be named... you get the point. Every one of those scenarios has the same user frustrations. Some sounding so similar to what occasionally goes on here.

And ONE category common amongst all is the new subscription model that has become the standard in the industry. So far, only Serif has not jumped on board... but I'd be willing to bet anyone here $1, that that will happen too, oh... I guess over the next 12 to 18 months.... any takers? So...

Now, I'm not debating, contradicting or challenging you. I'm just curious. You've be around... you're experienced... What piece of software were/are YOU totally happy with...? Who's done it right for your needs? (serious question - really)

Thanks

Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Well, Cliff, I cut my teeth (in terms of vector software) using Xara Xtreme 5 and I still use it as my weapon of choice to this day. I was dragged kicking and screaming to Adobe Illustrator, because it was the Industry Standard, and found it very grown-up by comparison. It has a wider range of tools, but isn't even close to Xara in terms of its ease of use.
    I am glad I made the choice to learn Illy as it taught me to accept and love Xara's idiosyncracies and to appreciate its worth. I also used CorelDraw from way back when and I like pretty much everything about it. If I were on the software version of Desert Island Discs, then Xara Xtreme 5 would be my sole companion on the island. I like its old-fashioned interface with friendly icons on the toolbar. I certainly wouldn't pine for the latest version as I assume there would be no internet coverage there, so I probably would miss the opportunity to see the wonderful pop-up messages from Nanny Xara.

These days, Affinity Designer is a serious option (but no Spiral Tool). I probably do not know the software well enough, but is is very professional and has no interest in bleeding its users dry by adopting a subscription model as far as one knows. The faux subscription model that MagiXara uses is enough to make me settle for an alternative and thinking long and hard about the choices and assuming no mythical shipwreck, I would say that CorelDraw 2018 wins by a short head over Affinity, with Xtreme 5 in 3rd. place. And what is the deal-breaker that wins the race for CD 2018? It is the text handling, which causes Xtreme to fall at the last hurdle. Illustrator CS6 comes in second. None of these invove subscription models and will happily function without the need for upgrades and deep pockets.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Well, Cliff, I cut my teeth (in terms of vector software) using Xara Xtreme 5 and I still use it as my weapon of choice to this day. I was dragged kicking and screaming to Adobe Illustrator, because it was the Industry Standard, and found it very grown-up by comparison. It has a wider range of tools, but isn't even close to Xara in terms of its ease of use.
    I am glad I made the choice to learn Illy as it taught me to accept and love Xara's idiosyncracies and to appreciate its worth. I also used CorelDraw from way back when and I like pretty much everything about it. If I were on the software version of Desert Island Discs, then Xara Xtreme 5 would be my sole companion on the island. I like its old-fashioned interface with friendly icons on the toolbar. I certainly wouldn't pine for the latest version as I assume there would be no internet coverage there, so I probably would miss the opportunity to see the wonderful pop-up messages from Nanny Xara.

These days, Affinity Designer is a serious option (but no Spiral Tool). I probably do not know the software well enough, but is is very professional and has no interest in bleeding its users dry by adopting a subscription model as far as one knows. The faux subscription model that MagiXara uses is enough to make me settle for an alternative and thinking long and hard about the choices and assuming no mythical shipwreck, I would say that CorelDraw 2018 wins by a short head over Affinity, with Xtreme 5 in 3rd. place. And what is the deal-breaker that wins the race for CD 2018? It is the text handling, which causes Xtreme to fall at the last hurdle. Illustrator CS6 comes in second. None of these invove subscription models and will happily function without the need for upgrades and deep pockets.
    Well I guess the answer is obvious... There IS no ONE piece of software that can possibly satisfy all a users needs. Someone back in this thread (I think) said that you have to have a variety of software for various tasks... but XARA comes really close to teasing us. Would you believe that actually keep CorelDraw 2018 installed on my puter JUST for it's tracing abilities.

Anyway... thanks for the reply!

Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

There isn't another graphics program that can do this - quickly.
    We love you, Xara. (in spite of your faults)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fudge.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	123797  

ooo... subtext intentional Bob?

I don't expect to get everything I want in one store

ditto software; and unless what you do is 'on a diet' so to speak, it never will ....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Intentional? Moi?!