Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default This Might Be Some Good News For Filter Forge Users...

Ok... so I just upgraded to Filter Forge 8... and even though the installation does not recognize XARA as a plugin supported app... it works. At least in XARA ver 16.

So after the installation of FF8 do the standard 'Effects & Plugins' setup in Xara... but... use the 32 bit... even though FF8 is 64 bit, they supply both filters...

Only tried it on a couple of pics, but seems to be working... Select the pic... go to 'FX' 'NEW' ... and thar she is... Filter Forge 8 plugin...

When you choose it, the plugin opens (as expected) adjustment made... 'apply'... and back into Xara...

Gotta say, their filters are a bit of a resource hog and slows things down... but whatever.

Just thought I'd let you know...

Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Default Re: This Might Be Some Good News For Filter Forge Users...

To respond to my own post.... LOL

The more I work with it from within XARA the more error possibilities with different filters... yes, I said it... it's a resource hog...

After a little research... amongst Photoshop users who have an app the supports the plugin... EVEN THEY prefer using the stand-alone version for a list of reasons...

They say the stand-alone is faster, more stable, and the only advantage to the plugin is that you can pop in and out of PS to continue working on the image... but they don't seem to really care about that...

So continued stand-alone for me continues...

Cliff, have you tried to link FF8 to Xara by going to Utilities/Options/Photo Editing and ticking 'Edit bitmaps with this program'?

What is nice about using effects apps from within Xara is that you can also apply effects to vector objects. The above setting only works on bitmaps.

I don't use FF but was curious what new features would be added to version 8 and went to their website. It said that they have an 80% discount for one more day: FF8 professional for $ 79 instead of $ 399. I'm not sure how much of this is marketing fluff but thought to let everyone know about it. It sounds like a good deal and might get it myself.

Cliff,

FF7 only came with a 64 bit version and no way could I make it work as a plugin with Xara. I just tried again with 16.1 and it fails. I will try FF8 hoping to get the 32 bit version. I have complained several times about not being able to use FF7 with Xara, to no avail. I also complained about not being able to use Perfectly Clear 3 as a plugin.

For those who have FF7, upgrade to FF8 Standard is on sale for 39$, but only if you received an email to that effect.

Boy,
    I tried adding the exe file as the external bitmap editor. The image was not sent to FF7 when FF7 opened, and there is no way to return the image to Xara.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    I tried adding the exe file as the external bitmap editor. The image was not sent to FF7 when FF7 opened, and there is no way to return the image to Xara.
    I would expect it to work but alas... Thanks for setting me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Cliff, have you tried to link FF8 to Xara by going to Utilities/Options/Photo Editing and ticking 'Edit bitmaps with this program'?

What is nice about using effects apps from within Xara is that you can also apply effects to vector objects. The above setting only works on bitmaps.
    Yes Boy... that's what I meant', and did, in the OP. "do the standard 'Effects & Plugins' setup in Xara... but... use the 32 bit"

It works, but is super sluggish on my 8 megs of memory... the process just takes too long... so, stand-alone FF8 it will be...

Cliff, I was talking about something different. Anyway, John mentioned that this doesn't work with FF.