Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Online cataloge not available in trial version

When I first started the trial version, I thought I downloaded a couple of things from the online catalogue. Now, it seems that all items require me to purchase the product even though I still have 26 days to go on my trial.

Did I do something to change this or is my memory pplaying tricks?

Alan

Default Re: Online cataloge not available in trial version

The Online Catalog is only free when you purchase the program. But you can purchase content when using the trial version.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The Online Catalog is only free when you purchase the program. But you can purchase content when using the trial version.
    Gary, when I have examined the Buy options through http://downloadsv16.xara.com/web/catalog/index.html, all go to the purchase of the Desktop application.

I think the problem is with the recent v16.1.1 update; it probably wiped out the remaining trial time.

@Alan, email Magix and request a trial re-activation.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Thanks - that does sound like what happened timewise.

I'm not sure how much further I'll take this - no php, embedded pages not working properly, no proper form management. It did look nice to start with, but the more I dig into it, the more issues I find for MY style of working.

I have no doubt it's a good product for many people - but I still have issues which are worrying me

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sh View Post
    Acorn,
    Thanks - that does sound like what happened timewise.
    I'm not sure how much further I'll take this - no php, embedded pages not working properly, no proper form management. It did look nice to start with, but the more I dig into it, the more issues I find for MY style of working.
    I have no doubt it's a good product for many people - but I still have issues which are worrying me
    Alan
    Alan, the good this is you have taken the time to consider if the application is suitable.

I find it is ideal for prototyping and yet the needs of 90% of my customers are superbly met.
    For the remainder, I am fortunate in that I can switch design methodologies and tools to accommodate.
    The tweaking-in of forms and social media across Variants is an art that is hard to describe as each has its own wrinkles that require practice and patience.

PHP is available but your web server needs to provide the capability.
    If PHP is available, you can deliver forms but then you get into the need for security (Captcha) and administration (MySQL), which is why Xara offers the widget route.
    This is no worse that WordPress.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for taking the trouble to continue this conversation - it's good to talk (for me, at least).

I use PHP to embed some password stuff into my HTML code so that I can set password protected pages. It's very easy and, yes, my host does supprt this. No need for Captcha or SQL. I know there are other ways of doing it (.htaccess etc.) but this one is great when I just want the same password for some semi private data.

I'm a bit stuck with further testing until I can get access to the online catalogue. Everything I want to try needs that. But I have another machine I can install the s/w onto when I get home (I'm away this week), so it's not an insurmountable issue just yet. I have emailed Magix.

I am also a bit biased in that I've been using WebPlus for many years now and have adapted my 'style' to what it can do. But it doesn't naturally do responsive stuff which is the main reason I think I need to change - Xara does seem good for that (with idiosyncracies) and is easier to manage that WYSIWYG - the other s/w I am trialling. But if I cannot get the basic stuff that I need (like the forms), then I need to look elsewhere.

Anyway - onwards and upwards - the mountain will be climbed somehow

Cheers

Alan

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for taking the trouble to continue this conversation - it's good to talk (for me, at least).

I use PHP to embed some password stuff into my HTML code so that I can set password protected pages. It's very easy and, yes, my host does supprt this. No need for Captcha or SQL. I know there are other ways of doing it (.htaccess etc.) but this one is great when I just want the same password for some semi private data.

I'm a bit stuck with further testing until I can get access to the online catalogue. Everything I want to try needs that. But I have another machine I can install the s/w onto when I get home (I'm away this week), so it's not an insurmountable issue just yet. I have emailed Magix.

I am also a bit biased in that I've been using WebPlus for many years now and have adapted my 'style' to what it can do. But it doesn't naturally do responsive stuff which is the main reason I think I need to change - Xara does seem good for that (with idiosyncracies) and is easier to manage that WYSIWYG - the other s/w I am trialling. But if I cannot get the basic stuff that I need (like the forms), then I need to look elsewhere.

Anyway - onwards and upwards - the mountain will be climbed somehow

Cheers Alan
    Alan, you could take a quick too at https://xaratemplates.com/demo/web-t...l_menu_contact. This has a PHP-implemented Form across Variants that has the same problem you are trying to fix.
    Now I know if I took the time I could manage the Variant box-filling with some hidden variables or sessionStorage event on variant change. It is just I have never had the need.

Acorn

Acorn

Your site looks really nice - and works well on a phone too.

The issue I have is that I have created some quite complex forms using cognitoforms (.com) and have also paid for a years subscription as they make it really easy. It's not something I want to try with PHP forms at all. As I said above, I only use PHP for some password stuff (check that an entry entered matches one - if it does, update a cookie so they don't have to keep entering it). But if Xara won't let me put any PHP code in the form and save the page as .php, then I am stuck.

cheers

Alan

Acorn
    Your site looks really nice - and works well on a phone too.
    The issue I have is that I have created some quite complex forms using cognitoforms (.com) and have also paid for a years subscription as they make it really easy. It's not something I want to try with PHP forms at all. As I said above, I only use PHP for some password stuff (check that an entry entered matches one - if it does, update a cookie so they don't have to keep entering it). But if Xara won't let me put any PHP code in the form and save the page as .php, then I am stuck.
    cheers Alan
    Alan, you can add php to xara pages in placeholders. You have to change the filename to index.php and have a blank index.htm page so PHP is viable. search Th for PHP usage, e.g.,https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-php-with-Xara.

Acorn

Ah - thanks. That should do what I want.

Alan