Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Another book project

Ernie - My background is 15 years in advertising working as a print and TV art director and I owned my own graphic design business in San Francisco for 12 years. I have worked with typography and I have worked with the best printers.

I add more space on the inside margins of my book to compensate for the binding. If the margins are the same, outside and inside, the type is harder to read in the middle of the book.

Ernie - You asked why I had more margin on the inside of the pages. This is what Kindle Create Publishing recommends:

Page Count - Inside Margin
    24-150 - .375” (9.6 mm)
    151-300 - .5” (12.7 mm)
    301-500 - .625” (15.9 mm)
    501-700 - .75” (19.1 mm)
    701-828 - .875” (22.3 mm)

After looking at a proof copy of the book, I decided that the standard margin was not large enough and I increased it. The great thing about publish on demand is you can order a proof of the book, get the actual printed book in two to three days and make any changes that need to be made before the book goes on sale. If the book is ready, it is on the Amazon site the next day, or two days world wide. And even after the book is on Amazon, if we find a mistake, we can submit new interior or exterior content and the revised book will be available in 24 hours or less.

I am very familiar with the publishing industry. I published a book on color in the late 80s and my stereogram partner Gene Levine and I have had 6 books of stereograms published in the US, UK, Japan and a few other countries. It is a very different world.

Gary,

About how much time does it take for you to layout a book in Xara? I myself have used different programs for various layout options. I would not hesitate to use Xara.

Ray

Not that long unless your book has a lot of illustrations and charts and such. This book was a novel and what took the most time was when we got the proof and the author said the type was too small and too thin. So I had to reformat the text. But I had used Georgia for her first book and she was good with that.

Lacking Master Pages, I set up basic pages that are formatted and use the same text styles. Then use the formatted pages for the first and next few pages. Columns are set to start new pages which is a big timesaver.

My first new chapter page starts down about 1/3 from the top and the next page the text starts at the normal place. If I set the first page to automatically start a new page, the new page starts down the same distance as the first page, so I create two pages, with the first page linked to the second full text page, and then the second page set to automatically create new pages.

The entire process takes me 3-5 days. (Or 3 days and 52 years )

Love the cover.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Love the cover and the fonts used. You are so talented that often we take this for granted and do not appreciate all you have done on this forum and continue to do so.

Stygg