Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Seamless pattern design issues and help

attached it what I see zoomed right in - that does not look like a graphics card 'artifact' to me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-18 20_58_23-Xara Designer Pro X - [xara pattern issue file _].jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	123689
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    attached it what I see zoomed right in - that does not look like a graphics card 'artifact' to me...
    its not caused by the graphics card.

if you want to make a bitmap copy of a object for seamless repeating you should disable the antialiasing view.
    after exporting you can enable it.

if you like seamless repeating you should try Krita, paint a little and press button [ w ]
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

what I thought too
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks again for all the replies. I did try all the suggestions, same issues. But I did try exporting as a jpg at 600 DPI, full resolution. As compared to bitmap copy at 300. That result was much better! Still some lines, but again much improved. I cranked that up to 1200, huge file, I know. This again was much better. So I surmise it's the quality of the copy, the lower file size just has too much degradation. I will take a look at Krita. But this way I can use all my previous patterns with much more success.
    Appreciate all your thoughts!

better use tif or png for seamless repeating.

the stripes could be antialiasing from xara view or jpeg artefacts from lossy compression >>> or both !!!
    you should avoid both !

both is also visible at the borders of your tiles, were you dont want it.
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

JPEG is terrible for large flat areas of color. PNG TrueColor is always better.

Here's a quick test I did. I did not shut off anti-aliasing, but I did enable snap to grid.

I made a bitmap copy at 96dpi and then selected the copy with the Fill Tool and selected Repeating Tile from the Tile Filling drop down box.

Then I copied the bitmap and selected a larger rectangle and did Edit > Paste > Paste Attributes. This is how I always apply a repeating pattern.

I zoomed to 300% and took a screen shot. No lines. The image is fuzzy because my tiling image is 96dpi. Size and resolution should not be a factor.

When I create patterns for my stereograms I work at 300dpi which is also print resolution and I have made literally thousands of these repeating patterns and this is the technique I always use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repeating pattern at 300 zoom.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	123707  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As Gary and others have stated, use only whole pixel tiles for these seamless tiles. Anything else will lead to a ghosting edges.

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host