Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to add a "floating" comments in XDP?

Hi,

I'd appreciate your help.

By chance, another day I could insert a "floating" comment in XDP, but now I am not able to find out how I did that.

I am not sure if I added the "floating" comment using a menu, or if it was a smart shape from the gallery. I searched for the word "comment" in XDP gallery and manual, but there is nothing there.

The comment had a rectangular shape, and within a triangle that I could click to collapse/expand the commenting area. It had a blueish color.

Does anyone know how to add such "floating" comment in XDP?

Ps.: I am not referring to the comment field available in "document information" dialog.

Thank you!
    Carlos

Default Re: How to add a "floating" comments in XDP?

Hi Carlos,

XDP 10 Designs Gallery has this; could this be what you remember?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-18_8-41-11.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	123675
    ~Fred

Question Re: How to add a "floating" comments in XDP?

Carlos, I bet you were playing around with Xara Cloud.

Was the Comment shape this? C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\basefiles\smartshapes\comment.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Carlos,

If you bring a PDF file into Xara then you can make a comment field that you can collapse/expand. Could this be what you are thing about?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Carlos, I bet you were playing around with Xara Cloud.

Was the Comment shape this? C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\basefiles\smartshapes\comment.xar

Acorn
    Thank you all for the replies! That's the "floating" comments.

I just remembered: first time I found comments under "Utilities>Customise key shortcuts>Comments" (snapshot below).

Then I added the custom shortcut "ctrl+alt+M" to insert comments (same Microsoft Word shortcut).

To add a comment, select an object first, then press the shortcut and type the comment. For editing the comment later, use the text tool.

I recorded my screen showing the feature in use (http://bit.ly/2Y5pMWT).

Besides using a shortcut or through the path "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\basefiles\smartshapes\comment.xar", could the comments be accessed from any menu or through the local gallery?

I am wondering why comment feature isn't documented in Xara manual, since it is handy.

Cheers,
    Carlos

Name:	DesignerPro_2019-03-18_10-33.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	123678

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    Thank you all for the replies! That's the "floating" comments.
    I just remembered: first time I found comments under "Utilities>Customise key shortcuts>Comments" (snapshot below).
    Then I added the custom shortcut "ctrl+alt+M" to insert comments (same Microsoft Word shortcut).
    To add a comment, select an object first, then press the shortcut and type the comment. For editing the comment later, use the text tool.
    I recorded my screen showing the feature in use (http://bit.ly/2Y5pMWT).

Besides using a shortcut or through the path "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\basefiles\smartshapes\comment.xar", could the comments be accessed from any menu or through the local gallery?
    I am wondering why comment feature isn't documented in Xara manual, since it is handy.

Cheers,
    Carlos

Name:	DesignerPro_2019-03-18_10-33.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	123678
    Carlos, I think Xara added it specifically for Xara Cloud. It wasn't around for v11.
    You cannot use the Local Designs gallery directly as the folder it is in is locked as it is a program folder. Just copy to a safe place and link using the Disc designs button.

I have mine set up as Alt+Enter.

A feature I miss in the application is the ability to add a homespun Button and attach a HotKey.
    Perhaps I have missed the method?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    A feature I miss in the application is the ability to add a homespun Button and attach a HotKey.
    Perhaps I have missed the method?
    Acorn
    What is a homespun Button?

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    What is a homespun Button?
    One you make yourself. I was thinking of a GIF 32x32px or similar that can be given a Name (e.g., Button-Palette), assigned a HotKey and loaded into the Button Palette for inclusion into a new Control Bar.

Acorn

Default I love this feature!

Wow!... you learn something new all the time.... 'COMMENTS'? Whodda thunk? I love it! Can be very useful for dropping little thoughts and reminders on a project that you're working on.

I get the cloud sharing point of it, but I like it for a local tool, for just me when I'm workin' on something.

Makes me want to dig slowly through the shortcuts and pan for more gold... thanks cadudesun for bringing this to our/my attention.

Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)