Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Default Re: What small workflow improvements would you like to see in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    What to do is add the code as CSS? and that give a class name to each shape requiring the fancy shadows.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn. When I saw your earlier post, I was intrigued. The possibility of adding your own CSS code to affect the attributes generated by Xara sounds very powerful.

My programming skills are not bad, but my website designing skills are restricted to what I can do with Xara. I’ve figured out a few tricks and hacks to get it to do some things that aren’t obvious, but whenever I’ve started investigating programming (HTML, CSS, etc.), I haven’t gotten very far.

In pursuit of your suggestion, I attempted using Placeholders and even inserting code directly into the html file, but I had no luck. I did a search and found an article on the Xara website advising that editing the CSS is of no value when using Web Designer because of the way the software is set up. You obviously have a different opinion. Do you happen to have a link that would explain how to go about adding code?

Thanks

Default Re: What small workflow improvements would you like to see in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    Hi Acorn. When I saw your earlier post, I was intrigued. The possibility of adding your own CSS code to affect the attributes generated by Xara sounds very powerful.
    My programming skills are not bad, but my website designing skills are restricted to what I can do with Xara. I’ve figured out a few tricks and hacks to get it to do some things that aren’t obvious, but whenever I’ve started investigating programming (HTML, CSS, etc.), I haven’t gotten very far.
    In pursuit of your suggestion, I attempted using Placeholders and even inserting code directly into the html file, but I had no luck. I did a search and found an article on the Xara website advising that editing the CSS is of no value when using Web Designer because of the way the software is set up. You obviously have a different opinion. Do you happen to have a link that would explain how to go about adding code?
    Thanks
    There is a lot of power in using xara Placeholders. This link, https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ing-calculator, is an example of how you can leverage others' efforts into useful constructs. Note the need for <script> <style> wrappers. If it is to show on the page, it goes in the Code body. If it is calculations and effects, usually Code Head. Xara Names equate to IDs. Name of htmlclass="fred" adds class Fred to object(s).

There are a number of other Threads/Posts here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Atal...eholder&ia=web that might assist you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Fantastic, Acorn. Much appreciated. I look forward to reading up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    From Xara's standpoint - I don't know but I can't see it being supported far in the future.

From a web developers standpoint - they shouldn't be catering at all to IE. It adds a large debt to testing and development time for very little benefits.
    Just a final procrastinated lash to make sure the dead horse is really dead…

For a while I’ve maintained three YouTube accounts. One is for news and investigation, another for entertainment, videos, etc., and the last one for fluff. Since they constantly give you recommendations, I figured it was an easy way not to have interference from one realm to the next.

Rather than signing in and out, I use a different browser for each. Internet Explorer for news (just because I opened up that account first, when IE was still the prominent browser available), Google Chrome for entertainment, and Edge for fluff.

Why do I bother you with these details? This evening when I opened up the account in IE11, a banner across the top advised me, “We’ll stop supporting this browser soon. For the best experience please update your browser.” I’ve already moved it over to Firefox… no big deal.

But it makes it clear that EVERYone has essentially stopped making any effort to support IE. Xara should feel justified in doing the same.

maybe first all the big corporate IE users resisting change and the cost and effort and hassle involved will need to switch
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    maybe first all the big corporate IE users resisting change and the cost and effort and hassle involved will need to switch
    You may be right, but I hope not.

Since anyone can easily install the most modern browsers for free and with little effort, I don’t understand why corporations would resist. More so, when they would surely be developing their own websites to be state of the art, with bells and whistles that most versions of IE couldn’t handle.

And if they see that IE, in all its versions, maintains only about 2% of the market, it would be a wise corporate move not to make efforts to force the survival of IE. Particularly since even Microsoft no longer supports it.

It's all down to technical debt.
    Xara has relied so long on keeping the desktop applications there as cash cows that it is now inconceivable to it to rework the product into a more modern guise as all of that would show no visible customer benefit.
    Most if not all of the third party products are stale as well so let's all pretend it not there, spend the money on Xara Cloud and hope we get away with it.

Ever more the cynic,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Afterword. In answer to the original Thread question: any.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    You may be right, but I hope not.

Since anyone can easily install the most modern browsers for free and with little effort, I don’t understand why corporations would resist. More so, when they would surely be developing their own websites to be state of the art, with bells and whistles that most versions of IE couldn’t handle.

And if they see that IE, in all its versions, maintains only about 2% of the market, it would be a wise corporate move not to make efforts to force the survival of IE. Particularly since even Microsoft no longer supports it.
    for example the use of IE as core component in an intranet, aint necessarily that simple to switch
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    for example the use of IE as core component in an intranet, aint necessarily that simple to switch
    I'm sure you're right. I hope those companies will get on the bandwagon soon. It's not just that IE is no longer supported, even by Microsoft, and therefore doesn't recognize or execute a lot of modern coding, but that issues like security risks are not addressed. As hackers become more and more sophisticated, I assume IE becomes an easier target.

Again, my apologies for beating a dead horse.