Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Default Re: What small workflow improvements would you like to see in the future?

Thanks for responding, Acorn. I only did a little investigating into assigning attributes to text. Indeed, I found it very limited. From what I can tell, you can’t apply gradients, transparency, rotation, skewing, etc. in Xara without causing it to be exported as images… never as html code. The only thing that worked for me was a flat (wall) shadow on unaltered text.

As you mention, you can produce some fairly intricate details in shadowing for unrounded rectangles in Xara. In fact, as I continued with my research after my previous post, I found that code following the material design concept usually involves two, and typically three, shadows (umbra, penumbra, and ambient) for any shadowed component. The result is realistic and awesome. To be able to accomplish that in Xara, I suppose one would have to manually insert the code into the exported html file (which would be time-consuming and risky), or overlay multiple copies of the rectangle, each with one of the shadows. The latter option is not too bad as the little bit of extra coding wouldn’t be too heavy for bandwidth.

Unfortunately, that method of creating “buried” copies with shadows still won’t work for rectangles with rounded corners, rotation, or skewing, as even the most basic of those shapes export as images.

I’m glad you agree that fixing this would be a great addition to the software.

Default Re: What small workflow improvements would you like to see in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    I found that code following the material design concept usually involves two, and typically three, shadows (umbra, penumbra, and ambient) for any shadowed component. The result is realistic and awesome.
    What to do is add the code as CSS? and that give a class name to each shape requiring the fancy shadows.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I replied to someone else who was talking about something similar:

Basically the reason why Xara is very bitmap heavy is that back way back when HTML didn't have the capabilities to do a lot of things it can these days, so if you rotated text or added outlines for example, Xara would export it as an image to maintain the WYSIWYG aspect (some browsers could do this, but another thing Xara was big on was full compatibility on both modern and legacy browsers).

Wind forward a number of years and both browsers and HTML/CSS have developed quite a bit where these things are possible now without exporting everything as an image, either natively or using things like webkits. Its the same reason Xara uses IE protocols throughout.

There is no reason to keep supporting websites on IE these days, especially when MS say it's just for compatibility support on older websites, and I'd like to see Xara drop the need to make sure everything works on IE. Would immediately strip a load of time off testing.

Hopefully in future versions we can go overhaul the whole website side of Xara.

Oh and there was a comment on uploading just one page - If you have fast publish turned on Xara will only upload that page if it has been updated. If you have updated a repeating object then it will update every page this is used on. Having a single page upload option would be problematic for many reasons.

According to Wikipedia, while IE once had the lion’s share of the browser business, it currently accounts for only about 6% of usage around the world. (Some estimate that it’s closer to 3%.) And of that, a substantial majority is IE11, the last version Microsoft released. Usage of IE10 and earlier is around 0.24%. Since they introduced Edge, even Microsoft doesn’t fool with IE. So, the question is how long Xara (or any other software developer) should cater to such an infinitesimal audience.

Rob-Xar mentions that it would be much easier for the Xara developers not to have to do the testing to accommodate IE. I would add that for us users, ignoring IE10 and earlier from consideration would make our websites much more efficient (i.e., not exporting of many of the bitmap files). It would also allow the developers to concentrate on bringing things up to speed Chrome, Safari, and other modern browsers.

It would be advantageous to the software engineers, much better for the users, and the only ones who might notice a difference are the 0.24% who still use IE10 and earlier. It seems like the ones making the decision should take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    So, the question is how long Xara (or any other software developer) should cater to such an infinitesimal audience.
    From Xara's standpoint - I don't know but I can't see it being supported far in the future.

From a web developers standpoint - they shouldn't be catering at all to IE. It adds a large debt to testing and development time for very little benefits.

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That was the link in my post #133 :P

so it was forgive me, but at least we are on the same page
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    forgive me
    Never! I'm grabbing my pitchfork.

I hope you know how to use one, it's not quite as simple as they made it look in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - make sure you have that anti-tetanus jab, just in case
    Nothing lasts forever...