Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: What small workflow improvements would you like to see in the future?

I want xara not calculate all pages on my site when rendering. I want it to just render to a browser only the page I am working on. By rendering I do not mean uploading to a hosting site, just preview.

Default Re: What small workflow improvements would you like to see in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    When exporting as JPG or PNG it is very annoying to make the settings every time.
    It would be nice if Xara would remember the last settings.

That would help avoid mistakes.
    This is a great feature to have, specially when setting resolution.

Also the same goes for Web Properties >Image>Web image type

When creating a new website variant I'd like the option to select "Based on variant (xxx)".
    This is useful for three (or more) variants.

I've started with the basic full-size desktop version.
    Then I created one for tablets in vertical mode (removed some stuff I don't need on this version).
    Now I'm at the mobile version and it would be nice if I could have it be based on the second variant that's already closer to what I need. Now it defaults on copying everything from the Main variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    When creating a new website variant I'd like the option to select "Based on variant (xxx)".
    This is useful for three (or more) variants.

I've started with the basic full-size desktop version.
    Then I created one for tablets in vertical mode (removed some stuff I don't need on this version).
    Now I'm at the mobile version and it would be nice if I could have it be based on the second variant that's already closer to what I need. Now it defaults on copying everything from the Main variant.
    As far as i know, the application uses the first Variant, default Main, as its basis for following Variants.

Simply rename it and change its size to 640px (or other small value) and work from there and make your "Main" the last and biggest.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Please make it possible to render and upload only one page to the hosting site. I can not wait for all pages to be uploaded and there is no need.
    I want to be able to just like rendering 1 page for preview, to upload to the hosting site just 1 page, the page that I am working on.

So another button where the yellow circle is but for uploading to hosting only 1 page.Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 378
Size:  3.7 KB

Give us a way to kill the upgrade nag with our update service has expired. On my nag for DPX, I do not have the option "Do not show this again"

I am using Xara Designer Pro X 16.2.0.56957 DL x64 Jun 5 2019

A button action that is a toggle for opening a popup Layer and on re-clicking the same button, closing the opened Layer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Rob-Xar, I hope it’s not too late to make a suggestion. On the surface, it seems fairly straightforward and therefore easy. Whether or not that’s true, you know better than I. I apologize in advance for the length of the post.

A little background: After I had produced my first Xara WDP10 website back in 2014, I became away of the “heaviness” of certain components - things that Xara exported as image files rather than html code, which took a great deal of bandwidth to download on the user’s computer. When I revised my website the next year, I made great efforts to minimize such components, instead choosing components that I knew html could generate. But I made a mistake. I had read the manual from cover to cover before I started designing, so some parts didn’t register in my head. I inferred that components that Xara exported as image files were always downloaded.

In the last couple of weeks, after purchasing the extension of WDP16 and beginning the endeavor of the next redesign of our website, I read the whole manual for the first time since 2014. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that in fact, far more is exported to be generated by html code than I had imagined, and that many of the image files are only used by older browsers (like IE8 and earlier). I decided to figure out how it really works.

(Ignoring tiled background components) I have determined that Xara will produce html5 code that directly generates rectangles with any combination of the following attributes: rounded corners, simple linear gradient (any orientation, any color), outline with any width divisible by 0.1px, flat transparency (any orientation), any angle of rotation, any angle of skewing. This is incredibly powerful. While ellipses and polygons cannot be generated using code (instead requiring downloading an image file), I did figure out how to make circles, pill buttons, and ovals by rounding the corners of rectangles, allowing generation via coding.

Unfortunately, in Xara, flat shadowing (i.e., “wall”) can apparently only be applied to a plain rectangle with optional simple linear gradient (no rounded corners, outline, transparency, rotation, or skewing) and be coded for html. If any of these attributes are applied, it causes the component to be exported only as an image file, regardless of the recentness of the browser. But I did a little experimentation, editing the html file and inserting the shadow code (e.g., box-shadow: 5px 5px 6px rgba(0,0,0,0.25)) into the html code for shapes that included the attributes for rounded corners, outline, transparency, rotation, and skewing… and voilà… the shapes were produced perfectly by html! No image download required!

So FINALLY, for my suggestion for an improvement… That Xara would create shadows for such components with multiple attributes via html code, making the downloading of images unnecessary. With the importance of such forms with shadows in the material design concept, it would be a great help.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    Hi Rob-Xar, I hope it’s not too late to make a suggestion. On the surface, it seems fairly straightforward and therefore easy. Whether or not that’s true, you know better than I. I apologize in advance for the length of the post.

A little background: After I had produced my first Xara WDP10 website back in 2014, I became away of the “heaviness” of certain components - things that Xara exported as image files rather than html code, which took a great deal of bandwidth to download on the user’s computer. When I revised my website the next year, I made great efforts to minimize such components, instead choosing components that I knew html could generate. But I made a mistake. I had read the manual from cover to cover before I started designing, so some parts didn’t register in my head. I inferred that components that Xara exported as image files were always downloaded.

In the last couple of weeks, after purchasing the extension of WDP16 and beginning the endeavor of the next redesign of our website, I read the whole manual for the first time since 2014. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that in fact, far more is exported to be generated by html code than I had imagined, and that many of the image files are only used by older browsers (like IE8 and earlier). I decided to figure out how it really works.

(Ignoring tiled background components) I have determined that Xara will produce html5 code that directly generates rectangles with any combination of the following attributes: rounded corners, simple linear gradient (any orientation, any color), outline with any width divisible by 0.1px, flat transparency (any orientation), any angle of rotation, any angle of skewing. This is incredibly powerful. While ellipses and polygons cannot be generated using code (instead requiring downloading an image file), I did figure out how to make circles, pill buttons, and ovals by rounding the corners of rectangles, allowing generation via coding.

Unfortunately, in Xara, flat shadowing (i.e., “wall”) can apparently only be applied to a plain rectangle with optional simple linear gradient (no rounded corners, outline, transparency, rotation, or skewing) and be coded for html. If any of these attributes are applied, it causes the component to be exported only as an image file, regardless of the recentness of the browser. But I did a little experimentation, editing the html file and inserting the shadow code (e.g., box-shadow: 5px 5px 6px rgba(0,0,0,0.25)) into the html code for shapes that included the attributes for rounded corners, outline, transparency, rotation, and skewing… and voilà… the shapes were produced perfectly by html! No image download required!

So FINALLY, for my suggestion for an improvement… That Xara would create shadows for such components with multiple attributes via html code, making the downloading of images unnecessary. With the importance of such forms with shadows in the material design concept, it would be a great help.

Thanks!
    Good to see someone else with the same ideas. You can actually stack box shadows for very delicate shadowing.

You omitted text: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...421#post586421. Once you have these, you can use scaling, rotation and cropping to make very complex vector shapes.
    In my opinion, the worst of Xara's approach is depicted in its NavBars as these produce an excess of graphic images, bitmaps fonts and look awful at scale.

Acorn

In my opinion, the worst of Xara's approach is depicted in its NavBars as these produce an excess of graphic images, bitmaps fonts and look awful at scale.
    Long overdue a replacement solution.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host