Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can I switch between website pixels without rebuilding from scratch?

Hello XARA Pros!! I am using XARA Web Designer Premium. If I create a website in 960 Pixels (XGA) within the builder program and then I don't like the way it looks when I publish it live on the Internet, can I go back into the building program and change it to 760 px (SVGA) or 640 px (VGA) with just a couple of clicks or do I have to rebuild it from scratch?

I'm presently building in 960 px (XGA)

Thank you!

Default Re: Can I switch between website pixels without rebuilding from scratch?

Absolutely fine to switch sizes and then overwrite the existing files when you upload. However, you will have to edit the existing objects in your Xara workspace to fit your new size (move, shrink etc.)

Default Re: Can I switch between website pixels without rebuilding from scratch?

Do you think I'm okay by using webpage design 960px for all users?

Not if you want to cover desktop and mobile. Check out the videos under the Help menu and YouTube on how to create Mobile Variants. 960 and 480 are the safe go to sizes.

Just be careful when resizing text, I always get myself into trouble when reorganising text in variants

I'm using a responsive website design. You think that should cover tablets and cell phones?

Ah, now you're on your own. I've never used any of the templates so I'm clueless.

You should be able to resize your browser window and see the effect in preview mode to show you how it looks.

Xara web products do not creat really "responsive" websites. And no, one size can rarely fit all. If your cell phone site is the same as your desktop browser site then everything on your cell phone site will be impossibly small and hard to navigate and difficult to read.

The benefit of Xara's variant approach is you can tailor the different sizes to create a site that works best for that device or size. Responsive websites just reshuffle the content and you have very little control over how the site will display. And content for cell phones and tablets should be edited to work better in a smaller size. Fewer images, larger text, simpler navigation.

Using variants is more work, but in the end you will have more effective sites.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Xara web products do not creat really "responsive" websites. And no, one size can rarely fit all. If your cell phone site is the same as your desktop browser site then everything on your cell phone site will be impossibly small and hard to navigate and difficult to read.

The benefit of Xara's variant approach is you can tailor the different sizes to create a site that works best for that device or size. Responsive websites just reshuffle the content and you have very little control over how the site will display. And content for cell phones and tablets should be edited to work better in a smaller size. Fewer images, larger text, simpler navigation.

Using variants is more work, but in the end you will have more effective sites.
    Thank you group for the information!

I have done some screen calculations (most used res. on browsers) both mobile and desktop and my setup for mobile is 700px and 1130px for desktop. Why would you say, have a look at phones today, the 480px is not applicable any longer these days.

Browser viewport size is independent of your screen resolution, my Galaxy S7 has a screen resolution of 2560x1440px but my browser width reports to be 412px wide https://www.rapidtables.com/web/tools/window-size.html
    Last edited by jamesd; 17 March 2019 at 11:08 AM.