Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Text Inside feature

That explains your uncanny ability to remember, and recite, fine details and the desire to dig to the bottom of things. I have a customer who likes to educate me in different styles of the human mind (pragmatist, theorist and others). You're one of those that likes to absorb as much info as possible before committing. Apparently they're the hardest to sell to. I forget which one, and why because I'm not in that group. I'm in the 'what if' group, always curious but easily satisfied.

Try adding Text Inside to a shape with a Contour or an Envelope.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

Acorn
    Try selecting the shape in the layer gallery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002576.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	123654

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Try selecting the shape in the layer gallery.

Name:	capture-002576.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	123654
    What I have in v16.1 is Contour Group > (Contour, Rectangle), the opposite way to you. It is further different in v15.

Now, I can add Text Inside to a Box and then Contour it.
    If I do, I can make the text all vanish.

For envelopes, you can precede with Text Inside and Envelope. The fun then comes with another menu item to Edit inside to be able to alter the text.

I re-iterate, Text Inside, function and operation, are obscure.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

What I have in v16.1 is Contour Group > (Contour, Rectangle), the opposite way to you. It is further different in v15...
    Yes, the positions are reversed. I was using 16.x of P&GD.

In XDP 16.x, if I select the contour, pick the text tool and attempt to click inside it, I get the prompt for what to do with the text inside. I do not see any issue—or maybe I am failing to follow simple instructions...

If I then use the envelope tool, right click on the result, I can choose to open the mould to edit the text inside. I fail to see a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Yes, the positions are reversed. I was using 16.x of P&GD.
    In XDP 16.x, if I select the contour, pick the text tool and attempt to click inside it, I get the prompt for what to do with the text inside. I do not see any issue—or maybe I am failing to follow simple instructions...
    If I then use the envelope tool, right click on the result, I can choose to open the mould to edit the text inside. I fail to see a problem.
    Your mthod is not working in v16.1. I stress the problem is remembering which technique to follow or explain to others. Collectively, they are haphazard. Not everyone knows there is a Open mould option or its purpose. As far we have describe three differnt paths to getting Text inside to function. Four, if your throw in Timeline 01, where one can only Text Inside the first bubble.

Acorn

I am using XDP 16.1 and it is working fine here.

Name:	capture-002577.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	123656

Acorn
    Can't test the contour one, but I agree, I can't add text to an envelope, like you I can add the text first and then create the envelope. I can't edit the text after making the envelope, but it's still a nice effect.

I lied previously. I said the XDP was v16.1, it isn't, it's 16 but I'll still post my results from you previous tests:
    Test #1 and 2 - I still can't find a way to change from Auto Fit to Fixed.
    #3 - Need to hold ALT to resize and padding alters.
    #4 - Same as WDP.
    #5 - Same as WDP.
    #6 - Same as WDP.
    #7 - Same as WDP.
    #8 - Loses padding
    #9 - I can alter the size using both the red handles and highlighting the text and changing font size from the menu.

I stress the problem is remembering which technique to follow or explain to others. Collectively, they are haphazard.
    Acorn
    Yes. I've noticed little things that I write off as quirks between WDP and XPD (changing the colour of a fill or line for instance). I would have thought it would be a case of making the flagship product and then removing some of the features for the rest of the product line. Having said that, I ain't no software developer, the nearest I get is to programming is typing chksk in a DOS prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Yes. I've noticed little things that I write off as quirks between WDP and XPD (changing the colour of a fill or line for instance). I would have thought it would be a case of making the flagship product and then removing some of the features for the rest of the product line. Having said that, I ain't no software developer, the nearest I get is to programming is typing chksk in a DOS prompt.
    "chksk"? Perhaps "chkdsk /?" might be what you are describing?

Acorn

P.S. See! Can't help it.