Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Text Inside feature

Is there a way to remove "text inside" from a shape? It leaves a distracting green outline on shapes. Also I'm really not a fan of this new default behaviour when typing over a shape, anyway to change/disable it?
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Default Re: Text Inside feature

You could search the registry for ClickToCreateTextInside and set the value to 0 I think.
    Tried in 16.1 test version. In this version it is converted back to a shape when all text is deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    You could search the registry for ClickToCreateTextInside and set the value to 0 I think.
    Tried in 16.1 test version. In this version it is converted back to a shape when all text is deleted.
    This should be the default behaviour I believe, if no text is within a shape it will remove the text area from within.

I'm on v15.1 and if I remove all the text it shows the green outline. I had exported a png and it even exported the green outlines so I had to redo the shapes making sure not to click text in them. If it removes it in v16 automaticllay that is good to know. I'll check out that reg edit, thanks.

Edit: yup looks like it's disabled with ClickToCreateTextInside set to 0, thanks.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

I have to wonder if this was even something that most users wanted? And to make it the default is counter productive. But maybe this is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have to wonder if this was even something that most users wanted? And to make it the default is counter productive. But maybe this is just me.
    Kate Moir was adamant that it featured very high in user polls. It is any thing that mucks up what used to be a very clear, concise workflow as you are dependent or obscure menu selections. But maybe this is just me.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Genuinely interested in the comments here. I don't see any problem with the way text inside works. True, the pop-up to ask what you want is annoying and I'm sure we'd all have a different view on how to handle it. But on the whole, I'd be sorry to see it go.

What are the obscure menu selections? All I've ever come across are the resizing handles and now I'm worried I'm missing out on shiny things I also can't recreate the green box when deleting text, which again makes me think I'm not aware of something I could be making use of.

Bug Re: Text Inside feature

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Genuinely interested in the comments here. I don't see any problem with the way text inside works. True, the pop-up to ask what you want is annoying and I'm sure we'd all have a different view on how to handle it. But on the whole, I'd be sorry to see it go.
    What are the obscure menu selections? All I've ever come across are the resizing handles and now I'm worried I'm missing out on shiny things I also can't recreate the green box when deleting text, which again makes me think I'm not aware of something I could be making use of.
    Chris, a simple User Experience (UX) test.

1. Create a white box with a thin black line.
    2. Switch to the Text tool and click on the box.
    3. For the pop-up, pick Auto-fit inside.
    4. Click outside the box then inside the box.
    5. Result: the Text Inside text area is gone.
    6. Switch to the Select tool and click on the box.
    7. Repeat (2) & (3).
    8. This time, press Ctrl+Shift+L to add some random text.
    9. Test#1: With this presented text, change your Auto-fit inside selection to Fixed inside. You may not use Undo and start over as the random text will be different.
    10. Test#2: Still with the Text tool selected, find the menu entry that is "Text inside".
    11. Test#3: With the found Text Inside menu selection, or otherwise, make your box twice as tall. What might the otherwises be?
    12. Test#4: Still with the Text tool selected, place the cursor at the end of the text block and describe what has happened to the Text inside menu entry.
    13. Test#5: Still with the Text tool selected, highlight a single word and describe what has happened to the Text inside menu entry.
    14. Test#6: Using text inside menu entry, select the Properties option and enter a large number. Note the error pop-up value and enter that number. Advise if this errors.
    15. Test#7: Instead, use the red control handles and shrink the text area to its smallest. Now check the Properties by click the OK button.
    16. Test#8: Using text inside menu entry, select Detach. Explain why the detached text now fill the box area.
    17. Test#9: Add a thin bevel and try and adjust the size of the text area.
    18. Test#10: just for fun, create a box with No Fill and try to add Text Inside. Explain how you managed.

Go to the Help file or the XDPX PDF Manual and look up Text Inside.

I contend the above is obscure on several levels.

Acorn

P.S. In v16.1, the green box is no longer and issue.
    To get one, use Insert > Text Box. If you click away from it, the green outline remains; it no longer renders on a website (unlike a selected Smart Table cell).
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'm definitely caught in this now. Most of my playing didn't produce the same problems. I'm using WDP 16.1 but I'll have access to XDP 16.1 tomorrow and will repeat the tests.

Your instructions were very clear and I'm 99% sure I followed correctly:

Test #1 - Couldn't find a way to change Autofit to Fixed Inside.
    Test #2 - Failed for the above reason.
    Test #3 - The box expanded and the text remained fixed to the top. Shrinking the box pushed the text out of bounds. With Auto fit the box expanded but the text did not. I went back to the text tool and expanded the text manually.
    Test #4 - Nothing. The cursor blinked happily and I was able to add text. I then backspaced and was able to delete individual letters. The text remained normal in both Fixed and Auto mode.
    Test #5 - I can highlight by mouse dragging over a word or double clicking a word. The word selects and nothing happens to the other words. The text remains as I would expect.
    Test #6 - Error reads select padding between 0 and 100px. Enter 100 and text does as expected but resizing handles remain at their original position. A manual 'nudge' is required to make the handles spring to the text box size.
    Test #7 - Padding throws the same 0 to 100 error unless there is a least one line of text in the text box.
    Test #8 - The text detaches in the same manner as ungrouping, it remains in the same place but can be independently moved manually.
    Test #9 - I'm using WDP which doesn't have the bevel option, but I'll try this tomorrow at a friends place.
    Test #10 - Ha. The text and the fill are conjoined. I thought I had you by making the fill transparent and then making the text black...black fill. Starting with a transparent fill and then adding text is a non starter, no offer of anything.

I can't judge the manual as I must confess ALL manuals induce a coma like state. I usually skim through for a specific problem as a last resort. I'm afraid reading one like a book is water and a ducks back for my brain.

This is interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I can't judge the manual as I must confess ALL manuals induce a coma like state. I usually skim through for a specific problem as a last resort. I'm afraid reading one like a book is water and a ducks back for my brain.
    I have a position once in charge of 45 Technical Authors who imbued me with rigour in checking, reading & testing. Later, when embedded with developers and TAs, I ensured that the developers had the responsibility for the software but also "owned" the documentation. It became their responsibility to indicate where the manuals were affected and describe it to their best. The TAs had a far easier job then of updating content, in reader terms. I feels for Rob-Xar if he has to understand the changes and then work out what the manuals have to include. Xara need to keep a UX & style tzar at hand to ensure the workflows are not broken.

The simpler approach to these new features should be to adopt what Xara does for Links: click on a Link and a pop-up box of options appears.
    MS Word has a similar and powerful pop-up mechanism for applying styles to highlighted text.

Acorn