Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please tell me how to create a table . . . am very frustrated

Hi all,

I am new to Xara and think it is a tremendous program - once you find out how to use it!

It seems not very intuitive. One of my biggest frustrations has been trying to add a table. All of the data is in a CSV file, but I cannot figure how to import it (Or copy and paste it so that it shows correctly, for that matter).

The table is a long one, comprised of baseball stats from a league. If Xara does not allow for easy creation, is there a free third-party resource that can be used to create the table online and then copy it to the webpage?

Thanks for the help . . .

Default Re: Please tell me how to create a table . . . am very frustrated

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Some of the members will have a better solution I suspect.

I think you can import the table into Microsoft Word then copy and paste into Web Designer.

In the latest update of Web Designer Premium 16.1 there are tables in the On-line Content Catalog. But I don't think any of these can import data from a CSV file. But I might be wrong.

FWIW - I know you can open CSV in Open Office, and I know you can then export this in an HTML/XHTML format suitable for web page insertion if that helps - Open Office is free - but I am not a website builder, so thats all I can suggest
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi George,

If your data is in a CSV file, you need to convert it to TSV first (tab separated values). Afterwards, select all the values and then in Xara if you have your table there ready, select the text tool and click into the first cell. Press Ctrl + V and it should paste all of the TSV data. I'll make sure this is documented somewhere as I'm not sure it's in the table article yet.

In the meantime I think there's some instructions here: http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/des...Anchor:58chF4m

It's not super intuitive I know, there's lot of issues and improvements that need to be made with data import into the tables that we're working on!

Thanks
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob-Xar; 08 March 2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: slight mistake, forgot that tables need tsv

if you only have CSV file then to convert to TSV ideally you need MS Excel - it can be done in Open Office, but only one sheet at a time as I understand it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you only have CSV file then to convert to TSV ideally you need MS Excel - it can be done in Open Office, but only one sheet at a time as I understand it
    Or in a decent text editor.

well yes given you know what yoiu are doing
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lightbulb Re: Please tell me how to create a table . . . am very frustrated

george, there are a couple of approaches you can try.

Xara still has a CSV Table Widget, hidden away in Online Content Catalogue > Components > Print & Web Components > Other Components > Table Widget.
    (%localappdata%\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\16\Cache\d esigns\eng\components\layoutcomponents\widgets\wid get_table2.xar).

Once loaded, double-click and import your CSV data.

My preference is a Xara Widget I built: HTML Table.zip - unZip and store in a meaningful place.
    Drag to the design page, and follow the instructions. Once happy, click the Copy to clipboard button and then the Insert button.
    Once inserted, double-click to re-open and update.

The TSV route for the Xara Smart Tables is a bit of a pain but workable.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Thank you (and others) for the reply but I am having trouble using the HTML app . . .

I downloaded and extracted the file, but when I drag it from WindowsExplorer to Xara, I get a circle with a line through it, no matter where I drag it, so I can't get it to work in Xara.

I am sure I am missing something? Can you please be very specific as to what should be done (I am a two-time stroke survivor who is sometimes slow on the uptake) . . .

Thanks,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by georgecf View Post
    Acorn,

Thank you (and others) for the reply but I am having trouble using the HTML app . . .

I downloaded and extracted the file, but when I drag it from WindowsExplorer to Xara, I get a circle with a line through it, no matter where I drag it, so I can't get it to work in Xara.

I am sure I am missing something? Can you please be very specific as to what should be done (I am a two-time stroke survivor who is sometimes slow on the uptake) . . .

Thanks,
    George
    George, if you are talking about the file HTML Table.wxr, did you unZip it? c.f., "extracted the file"
    It works on every version of Xara desktop applications that I have.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat