Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Updated Xara - problem with navigation bar

I was puzzled when I opened an existing site design to update some items and found wierd and not so wonderful things happening which all appear to be linked to this problem in one way or another. Now whilst I have managed to amend the new site offerings and switch to the "non default" setting individually I don't seem to be able (or can't find) how to set a default for the whole site. If I cannot it means I have to go through every item on the site which have links etc in them which now display as a graphic with a text underlined on them.

Is there a way to reset the default globally on an existing site??? Or am I missing the obvious here?

Help

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by mentorman View Post
    I was puzzled when I opened an existing site design to update some items and found wierd and not so wonderful things happening which all appear to be linked to this problem in one way or another. Now whilst I have managed to amend the new site offerings and switch to the "non default" setting individually I don't seem to be able (or can't find) how to set a default for the whole site. If I cannot it means I have to go through every item on the site which have links etc in them which now display as a graphic with a text underlined on them.
    Is there a way to reset the default globally on an existing site??? Or am I missing the obvious here?
    Help Ken
    Ken, this is a guess but if you unhide the MouseOver Layer, or all layers, then select all on the page, you can apply Web Properties > Image > Group images setting.
    Page by page, Variant by variant, Site by site.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Olle, post your navbar in a small.xar file. I have several mobile sites which I have upgraded to v16.1. Nothing short of challenging, but I have them working OK now.

Talking Re: Updated Xara - problem with navigation bar

I have documented what I do to get a Hamburger NavBar working in v16.1.

v16dot1 - Hamburger NavBar.xar

The novel steps are marked in red.

Hope this helps.

Repairing an existing, broken Navbar would involve Ungrouping to edit graphics and ungrouping the Text column and re-applying the steps I described; all sub-menus should remain intact.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have not reinstalled v 16.1 yet, but I will take a look at what you did Acorn.
    Anyway, I have made a new site that can be previewed at www.feelit.se/js/
    Feel free to take a look and give me comments. However, it is not finished in detail.

Have a nice weekend!

/Olle
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Quote Originally Posted by olledahl View Post
    I have not reinstalled v 16.1 yet, but I will take a look at what you did Acorn.
    Anyway, I have made a new site that can be previewed at www.feelit.se/js/
    Feel free to take a look and give me comments. However, it is not finished in detail.
    Have a nice weekend!
    /Olle
    Thank you Olle.

I made a previous decision not to republish my sites with a new update and always keep another machine with the previous version, just in case.
    Sadly, I am still running Xara Desktop applications at v16dot1, v16dot0, v15dot1 and v12dot8 to overcome a number of bugs that are still lolloping around or are being impeded by fresh bugs.
    Every new publish is requiring extensive retesting of features that have been stable in prior releases.

I know of no other web application I have where this is so rife.

Acorn

I have had the same problem with Nav Bars since the new update, and it has really messed up my project.... With Nav Bars not working at all or web pages being scrambled with pictures not being in their proper place and not being able to scroll down the page. I even found a bug in the Nav Bar Properties panel when it opens.. Under Orientation & Justification, see picture attached First picture is when the panel opens up, all is ok..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture-1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	123610

In the next picture if i click on Centre button (radio button or whatever its called) under Justification the Horizontal under Orientation highlight disappears... Is this part of the Nav Bar bug as well or entirely a different thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture-2.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	123611

With the change to Nav Bars i have decided to uninstall Web Designer Premium and try the 16.0 version that i still have on my computer and hope that it will work, with all the work i have done lately on my project i don`t fancy going through over 140 pages to change each and every Nav Bar... 16.0 you better work.

OK Update.. As of now i`m using the 16.0 version of Web Designer Premium and all my Nav Bars are working again, so i won`t be updating until the Nav Bars are fixed or put back the way they were in the 16.0 version.
    Great program just a pity about all the bugs on updates or at least in this update anyway.

I have 16.1 and this is what works for me.
    a. Make Text
    b. Make Box
    c. Group Both
    d. Select Web Properties, Image, One Image
    e. Link Group
    f. Copy Group to Mouse Over
    g. Edit Mouse Over
    h. Soft Group Both Layers
    i. Complete Bar with Nav Menu
    j. Test

My conclusion was that it mattered when you select as one image. This checklist has helped me. Hope it helps others.

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    I have 16.1 and this is what works for me.
    a. Make Text
    b. Make Box
    c. Group Both
    d. Select Web Properties, Image, One Image
    e. Link Group
    f. Copy Group to Mouse Over
    g. Edit Mouse Over
    h. Soft Group Both Layers
    i. Complete Bar with Nav Menu
    j. Test

My conclusion was that it mattered when you select as one image. This checklist has helped me. Hope it helps others.
    Cheers. I`ll keep that in mind if i decide to upgrade to 16.1 again.