Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Whole Page Resizing based on browser size :)

Been looking and I found some info on these forums but not exactly what I like.

I get for phones the page width is standard size, as most phones are around that size. But when it comes to the normal site, it offers me 960 widths as the largest size wide for standard desktop browsers.

The issue is when published and I go to it on my 24" monitor, I see a small site in the middle of the browser and big blank areas on both sides. It looks puny and small.

I get years ago 960 would be an acceptable size width - still is as many multitask and do not have browsers fully open. But a LOT, like me, have 3 or 4 monitors, have BIG 19"+ size monitors and I want the site to respect that!

I don't want a single pic or text box to be bigger, rather the whole site to be bigger - wider to be exact. But I am also thinking if I manually widen the size, won't people on tablets or smaller screens like those lovely 13" and 11" laptop screens they try to shove down or throats now a days see it as too big and have to scroll left to right to see it all?

Is there any way to take that web stretch/sticky thing and apply it to the entire site so the site as a whole gets bigger when the monitor/browser area is bigger and stays as is or gets smaller on like smaller laptop screens?

Am I just asking too much? lol - I think I am and this is something that will never happen but I had to ask

Default Re: Whole Page Resizing based on browser size :)

Xara doesn't create a responsive site, but 'steps down' to different sizes with the use of variants. You're right, there are a multitude of different browser resolutions and you didn't even mention the ones that Windows 10 can happily show at 1920 but recommends a 120% zoom size.

You can create different size variants by right clicking the pasteboard and choosing 'Website Variants' > 'Create' and add a name and size of your choice. You can have several variants of the same site, but all will need editing to fit correctly.

To alter the standard desktop size of 960px click 'File' > 'Page Options' > 'Page Size' and choose 'Custom' from the drop down menu. I personally go for 1300 as it covers most 10" tablets and the popular 24" 1920 x 1080 resolution desktop screens, but the choice is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by drtechnology View Post
    Been looking and I found some info on these forums but not exactly what I like.

I get for phones the page width is standard size, as most phones are around that size. But when it comes to the normal site, it offers me 960 widths as the largest size wide for standard desktop browsers.

The issue is when published and I go to it on my 24" monitor, I see a small site in the middle of the browser and big blank areas on both sides. It looks puny and small.

I get years ago 960 would be an acceptable size width - still is as many multitask and do not have browsers fully open. But a LOT, like me, have 3 or 4 monitors, have BIG 19"+ size monitors and I want the site to respect that!

I don't want a single pic or text box to be bigger, rather the whole site to be bigger - wider to be exact. But I am also thinking if I manually widen the size, won't people on tablets or smaller screens like those lovely 13" and 11" laptop screens they try to shove down or throats now a days see it as too big and have to scroll left to right to see it all?

Is there any way to take that web stretch/sticky thing and apply it to the entire site so the site as a whole gets bigger when the monitor/browser area is bigger and stays as is or gets smaller on like smaller laptop screens?

Am I just asking too much? lol - I think I am and this is something that will never happen but I had to ask
    Unless I'm reading you all wrong... are you not aware of 'variants' for 'responsive' websites?

I guess another way in Xara (but not as effective overall) would be 'Supersites' where you would go to 'web properties' - 'web export options' - choose 'page transitions' - and 'scale to fit screen'.
    To some degree this works pretty good... depending on the kind of site you're making... but the 'variants' is best.

Anyway, if I DID read you wrong... ' n e v e r m i n d '

Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

opps... I ChrisCrossed Chris....

Chris is cross that you ChrisCrossed Chris, Chris is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Chris is cross that you ChrisCrossed Chris, Chris is.
    I'm sorry that Chris is cross that I ChrisCrossed him... I hope I haven't Crossed the line Chris...

Ya know Chris... one can get a bit crazy and Cross-eyed Chrisscrossing all these posts.

Hope this problem is solved and I never have to be in the crosshairs of Chrisscross again.

Case Crosed...

Cliff

I am aware of varients kind of and the web sticky/stretch command CMPAN - but did not want to have to do that for every pic every text box lol - I will try what you said in the export options (currently upload directly from xara program - will try export with the resize option then re-ftp the site up to the server and see what it does

Thanks for the help

Yo Chris, if CMPAN's thing does not work well will resize from 960 to 1300 - I knew all along I could do that but did not want to make too wide and have them have to scroll L+R in addition to up and down lol

Thanks - 1300 must be the magic # that I was looking for to make it bigger width wise but not too big

Quote Originally Posted by drtechnology View Post
    I am aware of varients kind of and the web sticky/stretch command CMPAN - but did not want to have to do that for every pic every text box lol - I will try what you said in the export options (currently upload directly from xara program - will try export with the resize option then re-ftp the site up to the server and see what it does

Yo Chris, if CMPAN's thing does not work well will resize from 960 to 1300 - I knew all along I could do that but did not want to make too wide and have them have to scroll L+R in addition to up and down lol
    Thanks - 1300 must be the magic # that I was looking for to make it bigger width wise but not too big.
    3 pages...with pics (as per my instructions)... resize your browser to you hearts delight...

http://mockupsites.xara.hosting/resi..._xr_page_index

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    Unless I'm reading you all wrong... are you not aware of 'variants' for 'responsive' websites?

I guess another way in Xara (but not as effective overall) would be 'Supersites' where you would go to 'web properties' - 'web export options' - choose 'page transitions' - and 'scale to fit screen'.
    To some degree this works pretty good... depending on the kind of site you're making... but the 'variants' is best.

Anyway, if I DID read you wrong... ' n e v e r m i n d '

Cliff
    Yea nogo on this - because it made it SMALLER so it fit width AND legnth wise to the screen - so essentially I did not have to scroll down to see the whole site - it literally was all on one screen and it got smaller to make that happen - thanks tho I will just have to try the 1300 width and resize my graphics and text to match