Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Just Released: An update to Xara Designer Pro X

I've logged this with our developers, although after having a quick chat with them it would be expected to a degree that this wouldn't work by stretching the line with the old handles as it essentially turns off the "smartness" of the line. I would recommend resizing smartshapes with smartshape handles where possible!

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    Definitely a great improvement for the tables, thanks!!

But am I correct that there's no change for inserting elements in cells? For example, in Table 1, what's now the best way to add a checkmark in an empty cell and have this new checkmark maintain its place in the table when the latter is moved?
    yjs... yes, it's very simple to add elements in cells... and... you can change size, color, etc...

Here's Table 1 that had the 'already' inserted check marks... I added ALL the black symbols... here's how ya do it....

The trick is to select the text tool... click into a cell... as if you were going to insert text... when the blinking cursor appears... go to 'insert symbols' and choose your symbol.
    It will appear 'inline'... in the cell... you can, of course even add text to it.... with all the normal formatting features available... And... you can actually copy/paste
    anything into the cell... (as the text cursor blinks)

Hope this helps...

Cliff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TABLE 1.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	123557
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Great, thanks Cliff - Using the text tool to insert graphics works fine.

I've just uploaded a new version of a website which I update every day or so. http://www.pyramidfolk.info/ The first indication that something had changed was the time it took to upload. Every file was new and I presume this had something to do with the way groups were being treated. But next, to my horror, it took even longer for the main map page to complete loading and display. http://www.pyramidfolk.info/index2.htm as the map appeared to be being redrawn rather than loaded as an image.

I'm really annoyed that what should have been an 'improvement' has made my life more difficult and I'm reacting out of anger at the moment. I have yet to see any benefits and may well end up ditching the website and giving up on Xara (which I have used since the Artworks days on the Archimedes).

I'm not sure if you mean how long it took to upload the files, or how long it took for the page to load from a visitor's perspective.
    From a visitor's point of view, the map loaded very quickly for me. Australia 20Mbps download speed.

Hi Ian,

If it's possible, could you send me your website project file in a private message and I can investigate how Xara is exporting the groups and use it as an example of improvements that can be made.

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    I've just uploaded a new version of a website which I update every day or so. http://www.pyramidfolk.info/ The first indication that something had changed was the time it took to upload. Every file was new and I presume this had something to do with the way groups were being treated. But next, to my horror, it took even longer for the main map page to complete loading and display. http://www.pyramidfolk.info/index2.htm as the map appeared to be being redrawn rather than loaded as an image.

I'm really annoyed that what should have been an 'improvement' has made my life more difficult and I'm reacting out of anger at the moment. I have yet to see any benefits and may well end up ditching the website and giving up on Xara (which I have used since the Artworks days on the Archimedes).
    Ian, I couldn't even count the number of bitty PNGs that have now been created (actually 2,605).
    Each has its own HTTP request and therefore will be a slower download (1.2 seconds here).
    The killer is the time your local machine and browser will take to render all of these as HTML is not multi-threaded.

The 'fix' you need will probably select all and apply Web Properties > Image > Web image type: One image for whole group.

Happy testing!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Rob
    If you let me know how to I'll send you a copy of the Xara document.
    Thanks,
    Ian

Hi Ian,

You can go to File > Save as within Xara to retrieve the project file, then either click on my name > send message and attach it there, or if it's too big you can upload it to something like dropbox or gdrive and send me the share link.

Alternatively, you could also try sending it to robert@xara.com and I'll pick it up from there.

Thanks
    Rob

Thanks Rob
    I've sent the file by e-mail.
    Ian