Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default xara slow, only 30% of CPU power?

xara slow, only ~30% of CPU power?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-28 15_34_42-Window.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	123495

why not 100% ?
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Default Re: xara slow, only 30% of CPU power?

I'm no expert, but as a guess, what you're using in your current Xara file is not using the full capacity of the CPU, though some functions and in cases where you have many, many layers in a given Xara drawing, you might be using a lot more CPU for that. But Xara is a vector program which is much more math efficient than say an image editor file from Photoshop, so it's faster to use and operate, requiring less CPU. If you use near max or max amount CPU, the file size is so large and the functions so complex it will be incredibly slow. The more CPU used, the slower things get. Be happy that you're only using 31% - that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

If I am using Xara on my laptop, I get similar values. On my Desktop, I get 0% when Xara is doing nothing, which is what it should be.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-28 15_34_42-Window.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	123495

why not 100% ?
    My guess is that you have multiple CPU cores but Xara is not optimised to use them all. Another factor may be that your project is image-heavy and Xara is slow because it is waiting for images to be loaded from disc.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post

why not 100% ?
    Do the maths.

If Xara used 100% of your CPU then what would be left for the other Windows processes that are needed to run?

Quote Originally Posted by Promidi View Post
    Do the maths.

If Xara used 100% of your CPU then what would be left for the other Windows processes that are needed to run?
    Including windows processes, the diagram shows 41% of the available processing power is being used, so 60% of the CPU capacity still remains available for use.

The original question is reasonable.

The real answer doesn't come from this table because Xara may be unable to use all of the available processing cores and/or Xara has a bottleneck loading/saving to disc and/or there's not enough free memory for the process size.