Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EMERGENCY QUESTIONS!!!!

Hi, all!

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I sell t-shirt designs from two websites, both of which are just fine with printing t-shirts using designs in RGB PNG format. But recently a friend of mine ordered a design from me and took it to a different printer (she wanted the design on a particular type of t-shirt that uses "dry-wick" fabric), and that printer wants the design in CMYK colors. They said they could convert the design themselves, but there would be a color shift. Well, I attempted to convert my RGB-colored design using Xara's ability, which requires exporting it in a TIFF format and setting it in CMYK. There was indeed a color shift. Not a great one. I'm trying to work things out with my friend over this, but this kinda sucks. Is there a better way to convert RGB to CMYK (I can't use my Photoshop Elements because Elements won't convert RGB-CMYK) in Xara to help the color situation (I don't like the conversion to TIFF because it doesn't have a transparent background when converted, like PNG does)? And in the future, when I color my designs, how do I do that in CMYK format (my manual for Xara makes no mention of that process)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

P.S. ALSO - I'm needing to export this file in Adobe Illustrator (AI) format - but the file's pretty big - how do I reduce the file size below 25 MB in Xara before exporting it? Thanks so much!

Default Re: EMERGENCY QUESTIONS!!!!

The color gamut (the number of visible colors) for RGB is much much greater than CMYK. Hence bright colors such as bright green, in CYMK will be deeper and not as intense. Colors we see on the screen (RGB) will be more muted in CMYK. See this article http://www.printernational.org/rgb-versus-cmyk.php

You can switch to Window > Show Printer Colors > Simulate Print Colors to get a better idea how your art will look in CMYK.

I'm going to move this discussion to Xara Graphics Chat

Thanks, GW!

Can you also advise me as to how to reduce a file size below 25 MB for export via Xara Designer Pro 10 in AI (Adobe Illustrator)? I'm trying to email an image to a fellow artist but the file is too big to attach in Gmail - instead, Gmail wants me to use Google Drive but it's not cooperating. Thanks!

Hi TC

if you can't reduce the file size maybe you could use dropbox rather than google drive ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Toonicorn View Post
    Thanks, GW!

Can you also advise me as to how to reduce a file size below 25 MB for export via Xara Designer Pro 10 in AI (Adobe Illustrator)? I'm trying to email an image to a fellow artist but the file is too big to attach in Gmail - instead, Gmail wants me to use Google Drive but it's not cooperating. Thanks!
    Just FTP it to your webserver and give your friend a link.

if it it TC's webserver space that's a good idea... but it might be a commercial selling site
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Just FTP it to your webserver and give your friend a link.
    Thanks! Sorry for my ignorance, but can you tell me how to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi TC

if you can't reduce the file size maybe you could use dropbox rather than google drive ?
    Trying that now, thanks! (Never used Drop Box before).

Why not use https://wetransfer.com?

Thanks everyone! We used Drop Box and that did the trick!