Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3D illustrations...

The rendering time for that Japanes illustration seems very unusually long. I'd be interested to know what your system specs are like. Beautiful design though. I also do 3d modeling and rendering. I do motion graphics and animations mostly these days, but I have also done still images for many years. I specialize in modeling with 3dsmax, but have also learned Zbrush and Blender over the years. Most of the animations I do nowadays are created with 3dsmax and rendered with Blender. I don't think I've had a frame which took longer than 5 minutes to render in many years, but I usually render with GPU now rather than CPU. It's about 20x faster for the same quality of scene.

I don't have a superpowered graphics card, which is probably why it took so long. The reason that one took so long, was that I was rendering 1.6 billion faces due to all the leaves on the trees. I'll have to look at the GPU solution. Most my renders take about 20 minutes. I've downloaded the most recent Blender, but find the UI rather unfriendly and not intuitive. All my favorite software started as very intuitive software. I don want to learn Blender, but dragging my feet due to the many, many odd shortcuts keys I need to understand to effectively use it.

I needed a break from making ships and map tiles, so I created a detailed race called the Nelid, a segmented worm being that is hermaphroditic (both male and female parts), though it still needs a partner where both leave the encounter pregnant. It's highly intelligent with telepathic communications ability, capable of controlling those with weaker minds than it. Though it can move fast in liquid and muddy environments, it harnesses itself to a cybernetic walking vehicle with insect like legs and humanoid arms to wield tools and weapons. Don't know if I'll actually publish this or not, but the idea has been spinning around my head for the last week or so, finally getting the opportunity to create it... enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nelid.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	124074

So designing the ships of the Nelid worm race. I opted for a Chrysalis design as a living ship, inside a giant caterpillar with it's transformation suspended and serving as the life support and systems with the "ship". Working on the deck plans next, but first I wanted to show the interior of the ship to show the biological structure of the "decks" as cavities and intestinal systems serving as bays and corridors, so I did a transparent hull view, rather than a cut-away.

Name:	nelid-invasion.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	124098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nelid-ship-inside.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	124099

Alright I just finished the deck plans for the Nelid (worm) Chrysalis starship deck plans. Since everything had to have a biological look, I opted to do the plan in 3D, one bay at time then the corridor, then mashed them together to form the intended deck plan with a square grid. Again, included the 3D transparent view because the layout of the decks are bit odd because the different levels of the bays and the curvature of the corridor... enjoy!

Name:	nelid-chrysalis-deck-plans.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	124109

Decided to create the exterior view of the Nelid chyrsalis mother ship, which has 12 chyrsalis ships surrounding it, with tube worm structures sticking out the top and bottom to funnel drive power. When you see one of these in orbit, it's not alone, planetary invasions involve 144 mother ships minimum with a surface invasion force just shy of 40,000 nelid worm infantry and airforces... enjoy!

Name:	nelid-mother-ship.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	124126

You're on a roll here Gamerprinter
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg. I guess you're right...

I wanted to do one illustration with a Nelid and a humanoid in a non-threatening situation, where the Nelid is attempting a telepathic communication, because though the Nelid are a threat, they aren't always obviously so. Often taking care and great lengths of time studying their encountered being and attempting soft control over the long haul before eventually enslaving them, decades or centuries later... enjoy!

Name:	nelid-and-girl.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	124132

Last nelid illustration in 3D for the ecology section. I made it's skin entirely transparent to better show it's internal organs... enjoy!

Name:	nelid-ecology.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	124152

You works look nice. I 've tried to do this.