Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Default Re: 3D illustrations...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I can only count 8 GP.
    The abdomen has 6 legs, though at this angle it's hard to see, then the 4 forelimbs - that's 10.

For clarification, this illustration is for my Starfinder setting, not Spelljammer, finding a cluster of small asteroids, gathered and bound together by an intelligent, alien, gargantuan spider (presumably Tiny to Gargantuan, starship scale) and those mean large, humanoid scorpion spider I produced yesterday, is their tiny males of the species. Each queen has dozens of male laborer warriors to protect her. They catch passing small asteroids by placing webbing between it and their nest. Noting, I'm calling this a spider nest, not "the spider nests", as apparently these can be found in asteroids belts, dust clouds and nebula where these giant spiders dwell.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spider nest.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	132679

Updated this illustration, by adding two drapes of webbing on either side presumably connected to larger, nearby asteroids as anchor points to secure the nest, and provide net traps to catch passing small asteroids and perhaps ships into their webs to be carried back to the nest to feed on and add structures to the nest itself...

Name:	spider nest.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	132684

I am almost certain there is a scorpion Spelljammer ship, but am not sure. That said, I made this anyway...

Atsuko Mizumi is a kitsune pirate captain aboard the Sasori, which is Japanese for scorpion. Her crew consists entirely of yokai (Japanese folklore shapechangers), which include such beings as kitsune, hengeyokai, and tanuki, as well as more rarely a same-bito (shark shapechanger). Their ship is fast and maneuverable, though lightly armed and armored. It hides in the terrain of moons in ambush, eyeing for passing ships to raid.

Name:	sasori.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	132691

After reading about someone's homebrew Spelljammer setting based on mezoamerican culture, that inspired me to try this - especially since I wanted to create sails from scales or feathers, so this is perfect. And since I went all Japanese on the last illustration, I decided to celebrate another civilization.

The Quetzalcoatl is an Olmec Royal Armed Sloop with 3 ballista. The helm is upsidedown - on the other side of the gravity plane, in the mouth, where the pilot sits on a cushioned blanket rather than a chair.

GP

Name:	quetzalcoatl.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	132696

Somebody asked if I'd do a Stargate inspired pyramid ship, but as a ziggarat, since I did the quetzalcoatl. Simple enough (the pyramid, gates and towers were existing models in my 3D program, and I purchased the Mayan Calendar, because I wasn't going to model that!)

Temple of the Moon, Olmec Imperial Dreadnought Flagship, with 4 catapults. This vessel accompanies the Olmec fleet at war and for important ceremonies. The emperor with his family, entourage and guards, along with his high priest is actually on their way to the system PItz ball court championships being held on the Chacoan world. The emperor's son is leading the vanguard aboard a Quetzalcoatl armed sloop, seen in the distance. The Mayan calendar is the sail.

GP

Name:	mayan-temple-ship.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	132699

I planned on doing 12 ships, at least, and I've got 12 ship illustrations done, but it doesn't feel finished to me... so I'm doing 3 more Spelljammers. Since I did 2 Mezoamerican ships, and I've done 1 Japanese ship with the Sasori scorpion pirate schooner, I thought I'd do one more, more official Japanese ship, and one more larger ship.

This is the Jade Dragon, the Shogun's Imperial Battleship, with 3 ballista, and a trebuche. I used simulated jade with a slight translucency - it was set higher, but I lowered it, so it would show the exterior details better.

Two more to go... then the deck plans for all.

Name:	jade dragon.jpg 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	132701

Final Spelljammer ship and illustration is complete. This is Lolth's Handmaiden, a dreadnought class drow spelljammer ship, although this one is slightly larger than a true dreadnought. It was built by a drow noble house, making it's escape from an underdark city and taking it's family and possessions into Spelljammer space. They have located a large astral spider nest along the fringe of the Outer Wilds and will be establishing a drow city there. You could consider this a colony ship of sorts, one built for an entire noble house. Now mapping ensues!

Name:	drow house colony ship.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	132722

So decided I'm going to divide my Spelljammer ships and deck plans supplement into chapters, especially for the themed ships in the line.

For the three Japanese inspired ships, I've created a broken planet, destroyed from the too close, passage of a massive planet ripping the planet shreds. The hot exposed core vaporized the seas and surface water into a more expansive atmosphere with thicker clouds. Even the frequent rains and mists that fall past the floating rocks get evaporated before reaching the core and starting the cycle once again. Some of the chunks are massive supporting farms and cities. Some are small, with flora, fauna and civilization.

GP

Name:	moon viewing.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	132729

Xalapa is the capital and planet of the Olmec Confederacy, a mountainous jungle world with extensive underground river systems throughout reaching the seas. The Olmec were among the first Spelljamming cultures, just shortly after the Egyptian introduction. They have since returned to the Earth on several rescue missions to bring entire cities of subsequent indigenous civilizations before others would come and destroy their worlds - as predicted by Olmec prophecy. Among their retrievals were Aztecs, Mayans and Chacoan peoples. Each live on a different moon that orbits the gas giant, Chac Ixchil, the storm god and his consort, Lady Rainbow in the Olmec/Mayan pantheon. There is said to be a constant storm beneath it's tranquil rainbow surface.

The King and the Temple of the Moon ship returns and is landing at the capital.

Name:	xalapa.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	132736

Only mentioning that the Sahuagin with the Deep Space Angler and Astral Pirahna ships are from an ocean planet, no surface land. Only land ever revealed during high seas where the nearest surfaces break the water for moments at a time. But still felt compelled to create something for them. Several of the operating bays of Sahuagin spelljammer ships are wet bays (fully submerged) including their helms as depicted here. I don't know why, but I imagine spelljammer helms as featuring a wizard's glass (crystal ball) to view the ship and it's surroundings in combat, and wider views showing entire navigational route being taken. So that's the big glass ball in front of this Sahuagin captain at the helm...

Name:	sahuagin-helm.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	375.8 KB 
ID:	132741