Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3D illustrations...

thanks for the explanation, I appreciate that; not into RPG myself as you will have gathered
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It's very niche - millions play these games, but compared to video games or other mainstream entertainments - very niche.

So after joining the DSC League Discord community, one of the first requests I got was for an illustration and map (haven't stated the map yet) of a Drift Station. Imagine Absalom Station, for Paizo's Pact Worlds Starfinder setting. Absalom is a giant space station that represents the location of the homeworld of humanity, elves, dwarves and the other legacy races from Pathfinder, now located on a space station. Well the DSC League, sees the Drift Station as kind of an anti-Absalom. A creepy, alternate station located somewhere deep inside the Drift - kind of a cross between hyperspace if that accessed it's own layer of space with say the Astral Plane. When your Starfinder ship goes "FTL" it actually goes to the Drift and distances traveled inside the Drift moves vast distances outside the Drift when you exit. Also whenever you enter the Drift, you take things from the plane were on and take them into the Drift - that's how stuff on the outside gets inside. Now the DSC League preferred a more red cloudscape behind, but this is the best I could. I have to say, I've even impressed myself. This is modeled in Wings 3D, and lit, textured and rendered in Vue Creator... enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drift-station.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	129370

Okay, this one's a keeper. I wanted "landscape" illustration of a water world. Had I tried to make a sphere in space, a blue ball with some clouds, just doesn't sound interesting to me. Nor an aerial view a hundred miles over the same, maybe showing some shallow and deeper areas, but still boring. So I decided this is the best way and the most interesting. Here are 4 Man-o-war class Sea Landers, as colony science vessels that are huge (those mushroom caps are 2000' in diameter), with 500 scientists, equipment and submersibles on each one. So the four make 2000 total. Nine more sets of 4 are coming until by end of year 20,000 will be colonized here. Aquafarms are being established. This is for the Planet Builder project...enjoy!

Name:	eirene-water-world.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	129399

The xeno-biologist team spent a full week on planet studying the various lifeforms. An amphibious cephalopod came as great interest to the team, speculating it's intelligence, perhaps being the superior on this world. That is until we encountered the Stygian hexwing hornets that hunt in packs. It's stinger venom causes both anesthetic and paralytic affects on the wound area, then subsequent liquifaction of organic matter, where the hornets suck the cavity clean for feeding. Notably a single individual has the intelligence of a wasp, whereas two have share a hive mind intelligence of a mouse, three of a dog, four of a 5 year old human child, five as a genius intelligent human adult, and six is unknown though presumably superior to human intelligence. Lacking the ability to use tools, these creatures reserve their intelligence to being the apex ambushing predator on the world... enjoy!

Name:	lifeforms.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	129430

Not sure what this is. I intended to create a world with an extinct civilization, which I think I accomplished, but this could also fit my prison, garbage world of Purgatory. However, I'm thinking those torus structures were probably orbiting staitons, however, they couldn't have fallen out of orbit and crashed, otherwise they'd be debris fields, these seem intact, just stuck into the landscape, as if affected by some kind of Manhatten Project/Teleportation accident. Perhaps some experimental planetary defense teleportation shield was invented and used, however, all the orbiting structures got teleported into the world beneath, somehow causing the end of civilizaiton here... not sure what happened. Perhaps it's just a mystery that explorers to this world might fine...? Thoughts?

GP

Name:	tech-crash-world.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	129558

Another, I had an image in my head, but no purpose behind the thought. I need several more illustrations for the Planet Builder book, and have unrefined visuals ideas that don't seem to have a reason to exist, so maybe just make work to keep me modeling until I hit on something I actually need. Big structures in the clouds was all the inspiring thought I had to work with, but don't necessarily have a use for it... enjoy!

Name:	sky-dance.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	129569

Next 3D illustration for the Planet Builder supplement... this could fit a lot of categories: flying through the asteroid belt, riding the torrents of an event horizon along a black hole, in proximity to a moon in an unstable orbit too close to a gas giant and is breaking up into a descent path, in the wake of a passing magnetar, or a planet nuked from orbit, because it was the only way to be sure. This fits any of those, though the event horizon is where I was aiming for at the start... enjoy!

Name:	asteroid-mist.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	129575

Here's an illustration I've tried doing in the past without luck, so maybe this one will do the trick. An asteroid mining station, with towers and structures in many of the larger surface craters, and a deep shaft placed into one side where an O'Niell cylinder 30 miles wide and 120 miles long is inserted into shaft holding a population of 240,000 in dozens of communities with extensive areas of farms, forested hills and large lakes. A semi-tropical environment exists within the colony. Regular supply drops in exchange for food exports is the standard trade at this location. This fits within the Planet Builder project as well... enjoy!

Name:	asteroid-oniell.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	129597

Inspired by the hexagonal basalt columns you find at Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland, as an architectural feature as an alternative to skyscraper urban design. I saw the image in my head as something on an asteroid, but when trying to make it, it ended up looking more like an urban landscape on some planet, so I added detail for it to fit that function. Calling this New Dublin, on Hybernia Prime, a 50 year old space colony, that now rivals the ecumenopolises of the core worlds in Corporate Space. I might use this as is for the Planet Builder Project, or as a background for other illustrations - we'll see where it fits best... enjoy!

Name:	new-dublin.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	129601