Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3D illustrations...

So yesterday, after checking my email in the morning, I went out to do laundry and when I got back... no internet the rest of the day (some storm knocked it out). So I couldn't upload what I was working on. Well, I finally am able to get online and this was what I did. After writing the fortification and military vehicle "frames" for the combat rules. I created a couple that I hadn't yet designed illustrations of. The first one is the Chelonian class fast amphibious assault submersible - yes, it looks like a giant sea turtle, with no head. What a perfect amphibious vehicle, a sea turtle. You'll notice the hole or dent located below the head lamp - that where water flow into the turbo caterpillar drives that speed this vessel along under the waves. The fins provide maneuvering planes, but you'll notice the glowing parts under the fin - these are gravimetric emitters, so when the vessel reaches the shore, and the fins are out of the water. They become grav emitters that lift the vessel onto the beach, where the nose ramp drops to let Colonial Marines raid the beach... enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chelonian.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	127205

I admire your perseverance
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks, Hand-drawn!

It's art I need, that I cannot afford to pay someone else to do, for my current project - there's going to be a lot of art for this project.

Last military vehicles, only because I made a frame for it. I call this the EVA assault platform, which I see as a tiny one-pilot pod you send outside your gargantuan or larger ship to do extra-vehicular activities including repairs, but as a combat vehicle to attack someone trying to board your vessel through ramming, grappling and using cutting torches. If you need a marine outside the ship, instead grav-boot marching them to position, use one of these armed, fast and maneuverable craft with it's own grappling arms to stop latchers-on from any kind of success. The other is a large military vehicle carries a capital weapon, I created about a year ago.. enjoy!

Name:	eva-assault-platform.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	127209

Here's the CICS NAVSOC Marine Transport/Carrier Dreadnought, the Poseidon. CICS is Confederation of Independent Colonies starship, and NAVSOC is Naval Special Operations Command. This ship is nearly 2 miles long, though the bulk of it is weapon systems in front and engines in back with a small middle area where the ship's crew actually operate. 1000 marines are stationed on this ship as well. They can be deployed using the two Agamemnon class dropships, the 4 smaller Achilles drop boats on docked to the Agamemnons, or the two Lander (huge drop pods) on the sides forward of the Agamemnon docks - each drop pod can hold 500 troops, all their vehicles and modular buildings. This is the last view you'd ever want to see as some planet inhabitant, the Poseidon in low orbit over your planet... enjoy!

Name:	poseidon-dreadnought.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	127267

Here are some maps, made entirely in 3D, except for the text and labels which were done in Xara Designer Pro x11. This is on the moon where a one-shot adventure module featured at the end of the Colonial Marines supplement I'm working on that uses the rules from the supplement in the adventure. The first map shows a wider view of the terrain, with a hex grid for use for starships attacking the facility - requiring more room to fly and turn around in the same map. The second is close up version of the facility with Bureau of Colonial Naval Intelligence briefing information on it, to describe what's going on there... enjoy!

Name:	fortified-compound-starship-combat.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	127268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engagement-outpost-map-bcni.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	127269

interesting... but.... asking someone to enjoy this is rather like asking someone to enjoy the photograph of a meal, rather than the meal itself
    Nothing lasts forever...

I suppose, but the map is not an illustration, it's a tool to run the adventure with, so you don't treat like a photograph, rather the actual terrain that the vehicles will be using in game. Strangely the fans on Starfinder communities seem excited by this map. But technically as a usable map, it is the meal, not the photo of a meal.

What I mean is players will be placing tokens of their starships in a given hex on the map, move that token based on its speed (number of hexes it can move through per turn), use whichever facing (forward, port, starboard, aft) to fire weapons at the facility attempting to bring it's shields down. While a war game is not a board game, this is very much the "board" you play on - so it's the meal, not a photo.

Deleted
    Last edited by Fred C; 23 June 2020 at 07:43 PM. Reason: deleted
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    , this is very much the "board" you play on...
    so if I understand correctly then, it is the plate; maybe the dining table; maybe even the layout of the restaurant ?

I can see what you are saying... but no action, no meal for those of use who don't do this sort of thing - a video of it in use would be nice....

it's rather like me posting up a set of choreography motion/easing curves that define steps which you can use with a cut-out rig to create your own animated dance routines... without posting any animation showing them in use [Stills won't cut it] - there are those who might find such an abstarct thing useful, but maybe not on TG

anyway as I said before, I do admire your ability to keep on outputting, and you obviously know who the work is for...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Also it is played online using Virtual Tabletop software. Roll20 is a popular one, images can be up to 72 x 72 inches, but limited to 70 ppi. Many other VT applications work at 100 or 200 ppi. So all my products - there's the illustrated adventure itself, then there is a printable PDF map, JPG files for virtual tabletop use, PNG files of any independent symbol - so the giant tentacle thing will be available as a transparent PNG file. And believe or not, I've had customers who downloaded a FREE adventure, and the included map, they had them printed to large format vinyl at 30 x 40 inches - even posting a photo of it on my Facebook page. That's not cheap to do, but that's how committed my marketbase is regarding their game supplements, and the stuff I create for them.

I still make plenty of maps on commission, and for my own work that is almost entirely created in Xara Designer Pro x11. Though, obviously, I'm using more 3D for some the elements in my maps. It's just that most of the maps I've been doing lately are for publications, and I prefer not to post not-yet-published maps. So I've been absent in posting to my Xara Map thread.

The game is literally being played in each players head. The map is a reference, and a means of utilizing the mechanics of the game for movement, attacks, or whatever else they are trying to do. Even though crayons on a white board can work for the game, and something people actually use, still a specifically graphically designed map is what every gamer expects, and every publisher feels is a required inclusion with their adventure products - hence why I get commission work.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 24 June 2020 at 12:22 AM.