Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3D illustrations...

Normally I don't post maps I'm currently working on for commission, but I thought I'd show this one - it's pretty niche. This is 3 views of a hotsprings geyser pool, (left to right) top view of upper basin with a geyser going off, top down of the lower basin, and a side view of both basins. Now most of this map - the rocks especially are all done in Xara as vector beveled shapes with photo texture fills, as well as the background. The water effects I did in 3D, since I wanted to meet the water challenges in the best way I could. The swirls of bubbling water and the geyser itself would have been less effective done any other way. I used Wings 3D to model the bubbles and geyser, rendered in Vue Creator, the rest finished in Xara Designer Pro. This is a map for Aegis of Empires AP for Legendary Games. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hallelujah-springs-big.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	124603

Another interesting map to this commission series for Legendary Games Aegis of Empires, this is a meteor crater with some interesting locations within the crater and paths leading to them. This is a work-in-progress, because one of the locations will mapped separately, then I'll copy it, reduce it in scale and fit into this map at location L. Another interesting site is the cliff-sided pit at the center bottom, which apparently has a smoking remnant of the meteor that created it. Though I've done craters in vector in the past working well enough. Since this crater is so massive and the main feature of the map, I opted to do it in 3D using Wings 3D for modeling and Vue Creator for textures and rendering. I'm happy with the result. Enjoy!

Name:	pit-of-the-burning-star.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	124612

Next commission map is the Werewolf's Lair. On the left side the cave/lair and surroundings are all vector bevels created in Xara, but the curtain of vines in front of the cave entrance uses pre-existing vines (actually a bush turned upsidedown). On the right the entire map was done in 3D, especially the pines and spruce trees, including the fallen pine without needles. Though I have an existing Xara created pine tree, with so many, and being so close to them, it just couldn't do them justice - to my standards. So I used pre-existing pine 3D models within Vue Creator, and created the scene... enjoy!

Name:	asterian-werewolfs-lair.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	125003

Well after completing a 22 map commission for Legendary Games Ages of Empires AP, I'm finally free to get back to my own projects, but needed a non-job project to clear my mind to set me on course again, so I created a 3D model of a wasp with a metallic body, and a transparent abdomen showing the mechanism as a medical syringe micro drone. Enjoy!

Name:	green-hornet-drone.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	125017

Well between all my projects I need to do this year, I'm going to try to create some 3D, topdown, map symbols of varying sci-fi furnishings and accoutrements so I can both create multiple sets of symbols, as a comprehensive set, and possibly as 3D OBJ printable files. As map symbols, I'll created 70 dpi, 100 dpi, 200 dpi and 300 dpi versions. The map symbols can be used in maps you create, and as content for virtual tabletop applications (like Roll20). I will be raiding 3D objects created for my map tile set - rerendering them one at a time. When I say "multiple sets", I'm thinking one could be sick bay elements like isolation chambers, lab table with microscope and other tools, surgical beds, body scanners, etc. to include the examination/surgery bed shown below... thoughts?

Name:	sick-bed.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	125020

Michael,

Why do you have to create the symbols with so many different dpi?

Ray

Good question. Virtual Tabletop applications simulate a live game, as is normally played in roleplaying games, where you can upload a map, tokens representing player characters, non-player characters, monsters, trees, etc. And play online, however, the resolutions used by the varying VT apps vary. Roll20 is a very popular, largely free VT app, and it uses 70 dpi, on an area up to 72 x 72 inches. Other programs like Battle Grounds, Fantasy Grounds, Map Tools, can allow many dpi variances from 100 - 200 dpi. The larger the dpi, the longer it takes tokens and maps to download to other computers of other players to view on their screen, but of course higher res is better quality. Also, some people might use the tokens on maps they create using Xara, Photoshop or whichever graphics application they prefer to use, so offering 300 dpi tokens, allows users to create printable maps.

Here's three more 3D tokens I'm adding to the Sick Bay set: an isolation bed (for the bends, or contagions), a dental chair, and a cold sleep pod.

Name:	isolation-bed.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	125038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dental-chair.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	125039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cold-sleep-pod.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	125040

The dental chair has me grimacing GP.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    The dental chair has me grimacing GP.
    I knew it would do that to somebody - and I was thinking of that as I was creating it!