Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: 3D illustrations...

Another, I had an image in my head, but no purpose behind the thought. I need several more illustrations for the Planet Builder book, and have unrefined visuals ideas that don't seem to have a reason to exist, so maybe just make work to keep me modeling until I hit on something I actually need. Big structures in the clouds was all the inspiring thought I had to work with, but don't necessarily have a use for it... enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sky-dance.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	129569

Next 3D illustration for the Planet Builder supplement... this could fit a lot of categories: flying through the asteroid belt, riding the torrents of an event horizon along a black hole, in proximity to a moon in an unstable orbit too close to a gas giant and is breaking up into a descent path, in the wake of a passing magnetar, or a planet nuked from orbit, because it was the only way to be sure. This fits any of those, though the event horizon is where I was aiming for at the start... enjoy!

Name:	asteroid-mist.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	129575

Here's an illustration I've tried doing in the past without luck, so maybe this one will do the trick. An asteroid mining station, with towers and structures in many of the larger surface craters, and a deep shaft placed into one side where an O'Niell cylinder 30 miles wide and 120 miles long is inserted into shaft holding a population of 240,000 in dozens of communities with extensive areas of farms, forested hills and large lakes. A semi-tropical environment exists within the colony. Regular supply drops in exchange for food exports is the standard trade at this location. This fits within the Planet Builder project as well... enjoy!

Name:	asteroid-oniell.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	129597

Inspired by the hexagonal basalt columns you find at Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland, as an architectural feature as an alternative to skyscraper urban design. I saw the image in my head as something on an asteroid, but when trying to make it, it ended up looking more like an urban landscape on some planet, so I added detail for it to fit that function. Calling this New Dublin, on Hybernia Prime, a 50 year old space colony, that now rivals the ecumenopolises of the core worlds in Corporate Space. I might use this as is for the Planet Builder Project, or as a background for other illustrations - we'll see where it fits best... enjoy!

Name:	new-dublin.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	129601

Breaking the clouds trying to achieve escape velocity to leave this mega-city world... enjoy

!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloud alley.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	129680

Sometimes a project forces you to do math, not one of my favorite activities. For my Planet Builder project, I decided to use the new Starfinder rules for colony ship framework and a base ship, the most massive ship class in the rules. A base ship can hold a maximum crew size of 100,000. The colony ship framework, adds x5 max crew size for size of colonial residents, which means, I need to build a ship for 600,000 people! I decided to build a starship of massive scale. It's 396 miles long, with a torus that is 192 miles in diameter, which is 96 miles in radius. In order to achieve 1 G of centrifugal force gravity, the torus needs to spin at .076 RPM, or 13.5 minutes per full revolution, which is still going 2753.4 MPH on the outside of the habitat ring. Posted below is lateral view of the full ship, an interior view of the habitat ring. And not 3D, but completely created in Xara Designer Pro x11, the interior map of the full circumference of the habitat ring... enjoy!

Name:	argos.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	129681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	argos-torus-section.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	129682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	argos-map.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	129683

That's awesome, great work.