Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3D illustrations...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    edit - you edited your post to add the second paragraph, which is interesting again, but rather proves my point.. we are talking about an aptitude to think and respond and conceptualise in a cetrain way; but when it comes to intelligence maybe the fact you did not re-enlist is more germaine...
    I like to be precise in my discourse, in conversation you cannot edit, in text you can - how's that reflect intelligence? In re-reading, as in this post, I see a more precise way to make my point... I don't get the aptitude issue. It's the convenience of the written form.

maybe a lot of editing is more a reflection of the [so-called] alpha personality, the one that is always in a rush to finish, that would be me anyway...

aptitude...

ages ago had a debate here about aptitude - the other member did not think it existed, not a fan of genuius either, just thought anyone could do anything if they went about it in the 'right' way

now me I believe in aptitude - I see it all around me - different people are good at different things, some come naturally, some are never going to work for them; and I beleieve this how nature works it's diversity, and one of the secrets of life is to lnow what you are [not]

I do not really believe genius is an attribute.. it is the result of application.. in other words there are works of genius, but to call someone a genius because they produce these works is missing the point

that said we all do it, like I may say I am a big fan of salvador dali when what I mean is his work; the man himself I never met and you can read all the descriptions of his life you want but the description is never the thing described
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I don't claim and wasn't claiming genius as an "attribute", rather explaining as a "complication", in trying to explain to you my creative methodology, which as you pointed out seems quite counter-intuitive. My brain works differently than others, apparently - that's all I was aluding regarding genius. Perhaps another way to explain it is, some say, something like, "Art inspires writers, and words constrict artists" - I think that's true for me. When I create art, I do so at great detail, because as I create, the storyline, the complications, the protagonist and antagonists form and solidify in my mind. When I'm finished doing any given map or 3D illustration, I've dreamt up 10 to 30 pages of writing that I know have to put into text - so then I write it. And the way I go back and correct posts I make, is because, I'm not only an author, but I'm an editor, for my work and the works 2 or more others at the same. So I'm always editing text - that's normal for me. It's my job.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08 July 2021 at 10:11 PM.

whatever works for you has to be good - and thanks again for laying it out
    Nothing lasts forever...

Was in the mood to create another crab based ship design, though this isn't "Crustacea", as this isn't a living construct, and the ship cannot walk once it's grounded. Inspired by Crustacea, this is based on the Robber or Coconut Crab, and is designed as a pirate boarding ship. In the Starfinder Starship Operations Manual, buster weapons are described weapons that only damage shields, and not hulls. I considered using the claws as a heavy ram, but opted instead to call them heavy tether claws (assuming tethers refer to cables or chain systems, but the pincer claws serves as the anchoring mechanism). So this ship finds potential victim ships to attack. using it's forward buster cannon, and twin buster cannons on the turret to reduce a targeted ship's shields to zero quickly. Then it's fast maneuver drives and grappling claws attempt to close onto the ship and anchor it in the pincers. Once anchored, the boarding ramp drops and 4 boarding marines with cutting torches in armored vacc-suits breach the opposing ship to board. While some damage is incurred in the grapple, opponent ships only need to be breached, then the pirate boarding party treats it like a non-ship combat encounter. Kind of a unique method of starship combat...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robber-crab-ship.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	130135

Decided to create a second pirate ship to couple with the Robber Crab ship, this is the Crackerjack small fast signal boat, which is a fast, lightly armed boat with a Hacker module used to attack the computers of targeted ships.

Name:	crackerjack-nautilus.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	130147

After creating a couple pirate ships inspired by sealife, I decided I needed a pirate base, some chunk of rock floating in the Sargasso Nebula. Strange reef building space corals cover some of the rocks, perhaps some needed nutrient found in only some asteroids in nebula dust clouds feeding on the finest grains of nutrients in the dust. The space pirate with their Robber Crab ships and Nautilus pod boats are based on this one, called Scallywag's Rock. Several pirate gangs hide in this nebula. The Colonial Navy has closed in on this asteroid base. After creating all the "sealife" I needed a scene they best fit in - space corals, why not?

Name:	scallywag-rock.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	130168

... dammit, T'Chixik, recheck those sensor logs... this can't be the Drift Beacon coordinates...

Deep Space Anglers are gargantuan, space born, starship sized creatures who ride the gamma ray bursts, solar winds and radiation waves feeding on substances with exotic particles, including jump drives on starships. If they spend at least 7 days within 10 AU of any drift beacon, their biochemistry attunes with the beacon's frequency and signal output and emulates it perfectly. Within close proximity it isn't a problem, however, if it swims into open space, it can confuse starship astrogation systems into thinking they are the drift beacon destination. Which can cause problems...

Name:	angler.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	130174

Fantastic creatures and ships, I especially like Deep Space Anglers & your commentary on them.
    Very natural designs with beauty and function.
    More probably what things will look like when we bodily reach there.

adios

Quote Originally Posted by sunland View Post
    when we bodily reach there.
    if...
    Nothing lasts forever...