Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3D illustrations...

Here's another "alien-esque" terrain map, though it could be terran too. This is my version of a deep sea smoker - a hot spot emitting sulferous energy from volcanic tunnels beneath, escaping into the atmosphere above it. You could use this as bottom of the sea, but I'd consider this an alien planet with a heavy barometric pressure surface requiring a vaccuum suit to breath. Anyway, the deep sea smoker... enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoker-small.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	125205

Who doesn't need a Crystal Cave? While not technically a Hostile Terrain, one could argue that the crystals contained emit light and radiation. Perhaps they are magical crystal for a Starfinder or fantasy game. Perhaps it's something like dilithium crystals or maybe crystalized dark matter usable for some impossible energy source or for singularity engines. Anyway, I thought this might be a good fit in the exotic maps of this set... enjoy!

GP

Name:	crystal-cave-small.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	125207

Took two renders to do this, but the second one was quicker. I will need an image of a sky elevator, accessing an orbiting ring in low orbit (still inside the ionosphere protected from micrometeorites). The orbiting ring sports a Mach 10 dual mag-lev train tracks that can take passengers, or separately cargo containers in 15 minute trips to the opposite side of the planet, or to other sky elevators enroute. The elevators continue upward to reach the starport torus station at the top in higher orbit. Using this for my Kaidan System Empire project... enjoy!

Name:	sky-elevator-orbiting-ring.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	125220

I created a tengu floating city illustration a few months ago, but it didn't really satisfy me like I wanted - it looked more like an orbiting station in low atmosphere which wasn't what I wanted. So I got inspired to try a city attached to a rocky spire rising out of the mists and haze below. This is the tengu moon orbiting the Oni gas giant called Jigoku (which is also the Buddhist Hell). Once a healthy planet until the Oni tested weapons on the world, relegating the near surface uninhabitable with toxic gases and overly barometric pressure levels that would kill most humanoids. At about a mile over the surface, the air is breathable and clouds of water vapor can keep things alive. So the tengu built atop the mountain spires of the world with a dozen cities for their depleted populations. Vertical farms and moisture collectors with lifting balloon over it number in the hundreds providing the food for the tengu on this moon... enjoy!

Edit, I had to fix a flaw.

Name:	tengu-moon-city.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	125232
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tengu-moon-city.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	125231  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 24 September 2019 at 09:41 PM.

This was a quick one, I was trying to create something else, but it was going to take forever to render, so I need to figure what I have to do to fix that. Instead I created a quickie for a different Kaidan need. This is Dawn over Sarutahika Prospecting Outpost 206. Sarutahiko is the planet closest to the Kaidan sun... Enjoy!

Name:	mine-prospector.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	125249

Okay, not as sexy as the last two, this illustration is a bit creepy, depicting a habitat cave of the Jorogumo (spider people race) on another moon of Jigoku, for my Kaidan Star Empire project. Despite looking evil, this is a neutrally aligned race of master computer programmers, due to a natural understanding of mathematics and binary, and a starfaring race. As a specie unlike spiders they are like ants or bees, with a Queen over each nest, males are tiny short-lived beings only around for reproduction, while the main population consists of infertile females. They too have received the brutality of the oni of Jigoku... enjoy! (This is the design that I was having problems with yesterday, due to a translucency issue, which I fixed.)

Name:	jorogumo-nest.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	125256

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    This was a quick one, I was trying to create something else, but it was going to take forever to render, so I need to figure what I have to do to fix that. Instead I created a quickie for a different Kaidan need. This is Dawn over Sarutahika Prospecting Outpost 206. Sarutahiko is the planet closest to the Kaidan sun... Enjoy!

Name:	mine-prospector.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	125249
    This one is probably my favorite of your works so far. Although there were several others I would consider up there as well, this one definitely has the look and feel of a good sci fi scene, and the background lighting and atmosphere really stand out. I also liked some of your abstract renders. I do a lot of abstract stuff in 3d myself, so I can appreciate that. What software was in use here if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to guess either Vue or Terragen?

Quote Originally Posted by luxxeon View Post
    This one is probably my favorite of your works so far. Although there were several others I would consider up there as well, this one definitely has the look and feel of a good sci fi scene, and the background lighting and atmosphere really stand out. I also liked some of your abstract renders. I do a lot of abstract stuff in 3d myself, so I can appreciate that. What software was in use here if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to guess either Vue or Terragen?
    Thank you!

Yes, Vue Creator is what I'm currently using, though I create OBJ models using Wings 3D, a free subdivisional surface modeler - the software it's based on, Nichimen Nendo, I'd been using for 10 years before, so I'm very familiar with it. It cannot render, but it's ease of modeling and that it's free, makes it hard to move on to something else.

Very nice works... and yes, Wings 3D is pretty hard to escape from once ya learn it... lol

Here's the last 3 illustrations I needed for all the planets and moons of the Kaidan star system... an ice world on the system fringe (think Pluto with a thin atmosphere), a hidden yakuza shipyard, inside the upper layer of a second gas giant (think Neptune or Saturn), and finally the jungle moon of the hebi-onna (snake women). Enjoy!

Name:	iceworld.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	125274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yakuza-shipyard.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	125275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hebi-valley.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	125276