Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CMYK coloring in Xara

Hi, all!

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I sell t-shirt designs from two websites, both of which are just fine with printing t-shirts using designs in RGB PNG format. But recently a friend of mine ordered a design from me and took it to a different printer (she wanted the design on a particular type of t-shirt that uses "dry-wick" fabric), and that printer wants the design in CMYK colors. They said they could convert the design themselves, but there would be a color shift. Well, I attempted to convert my RGB-colored design using Xara's ability, which requires exporting it in a TIFF format and setting it in CMYK. There was indeed a color shift. Not a great one. I'm trying to work things out with my friend over this, but this kinda sucks. Is there a better way to convert RGB to CMYK (I can't use my Photoshop Elements because Elements won't convert RGB-CMYK) in Xara to help the color situation (I don't like the conversion to TIFF because it doesn't have a transparent background when converted, like PNG does)? And in the future, when I color my designs, how do I do that in CMYK format (my manual for Xara makes no mention of that process)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

P.S. ALSO - I'm needing to export this file in Adobe Illustrator (AI) format - but the file's pretty big - how do I reduce the file size below 25 MB in Xara before exporting it? Thanks so much!
    Last edited by Toonicorn; 27 February 2019 at 07:07 PM.

Default Re: CMYK coloring in Xara

Quote Originally Posted by Toonicorn View Post
    Hi, all!

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I sell t-shirt designs from two websites, both of which are just fine with printing t-shirts using designs in RGB PNG format. But recently a friend of mine ordered a design from me and took it to a different printer (she wanted the design on a particular type of t-shirt that uses "dry-wick" fabric), and that printer wants the design in CMYK colors. They said they could convert the design themselves, but there would be a color shift. Well, I attempted to convert my RGB-colored design using Xara's ability, which requires exporting it in a TIFF format and setting it in CMYK. There was indeed a color shift. Not a great one. I'm trying to work things out with my friend over this, but this kinda sucks. Is there a better way to convert RGB to CMYK (I can't use my Photoshop Elements because Elements won't convert RGB-CMYK) in Xara to help the color situation (I don't like the conversion to TIFF because it doesn't have a transparent background when converted, like PNG does)? And in the future, when I color my designs, how do I do that in CMYK format (my manual for Xara makes no mention of that process)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

P.S. ALSO - I'm needing to export this file in Adobe Illustrator (AI) format - but the file's pretty big - how do I reduce the file size below 25 MB in Xara before exporting it? Thanks so much!
    I have asked for your second (duplicate) Thread to be deleted.

CMYK colors are stored in 32-bit format. When printed or output as EPS or PDF they are output in CMYK format. Can you therefore not use PDF export? Ditto for EPS, which I assume Illustrator will handle. I don't know if Xara will handle CMYK in AI export.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I have asked for your second (duplicate) Thread to be deleted.

CMYK colors are stored in 32-bit format. When printed or output as EPS or PDF they are output in CMYK format. Can you therefore not use PDF export? Ditto for EPS, which I assume Illustrator will handle. I don't know if Xara will handle CMYK in AI export.

Acorn
    Xara can handle CMYK output to AI.

The conversion from RGB to CMYK is better done with image editing software. You have precise control over the colors, but only if your monitor is calibrated.

When it comes to T-shirt printing and the service provider CMYK demands it should also accept PDF X-1. You can create these in Xara. Ask the service provider which outpunt-intent-colour profile he is using.

Here is a small how to generate a printable CMYK-PDF with Xara:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDF-1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	123491

Name:	PDF-2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	123492

Name:	PDF-3.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	123493

Name:	PDF-4.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	123494

A PDF/X file will convert the colors to CMYK and is better than Xara's CMYK TIFF filter.

As mentioned in another topic you started, CMYK colors are not going to be a bright as you see on the screen. But the best rule of thumb is does this image look OK?

Many decades ago when I worked in advertising, I was doing my first national print ad for Datsun (now Nissan). We worked on the ad for two months getting the color just right.

When the ad finally ran in Time Magazine, I almost died when I saw the color. It had taken on a slight pink cast. I showed it to my wife and I said, THIS IS A DISASTER. Look at these colors. My wife looked at the ad and said, I don't see what you are talking about. It looks fine to me.

This was a real learning moment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    Here is a small how to generate a printable CMYK-PDF with Xara
    Ernie, your example contribution here is praiseworthy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn.
    We all know that Xara hasn't a real colormanagement so workflows must help.
    The first thing before I create a print ready PDF is to ask the service provider which color profile he need for its work.

It's alltime better to deliver a PDF than a flaten bitmap like TIFF or JPG. In PDF the fonts are still vector and crispy sharp. In Bitmap they're reduced to pixels and depending on the resolution.