Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: What website features would you like to see in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Rob, no particular order but others can vote for any as they like.

Acorn#:

1. Replace NavBar graphics with graphic button with font for button text. Keep text as text.
    2. Replace NavBar graphic with CSS shape.
    3. Replace NavBar with CSS3 solution instead.
    4. Add/allow a class of 'layername' to all elements that changes according to the Layer the object is on; possibly selected through Utilities > Names.
    5. Publish Variants to subfolders based on the name of the Variant. In other words, separate the lumping of all Variants into one page HTML file.
    6. Reflect the Page & Layer gallery object name in the Names gallery.
    7. In a Supersite, allow different stretch images as background, based on the page in focus.
    8. Ditto, reflect the correct address for the page in focus.
    9. Retain image filenames as filename="..." in the Names gallery; augment with any transformations or scaling but keep the hard-thought out name.
    10. Allow EXIF information to appear in a drop down for Pop-up Title and Alt and Web Animation Title.
    11. Sort out the fault when adding a Name to text.
    12. Include 'htmlblocktext' as a value in Names.
    13. Render text with a Line width properly. Easy with CSS; do not change the text to an image.
    14. c.f., shadows. Note, while a Line width does not render, its shadow equivalent does.
    15. Lazy-loading for IE9- images. Lazy-loading in general.
    16. A table solution that is screen reader aligned and based on HTML tables.
    17. Usable table export to MS Word.
    18. Correct Preview rendering of pages with a '%' (RFC 3986).
    19. Proper ease-in and ease-out of web animations.
    20. Update failed Widgets: QR Code, WebRSS; general widget review. Publish Widget API.
    21. Reinstatement of Xara Slideshow Widget into v12.
    22. eBook publishing.
    23. Add text along Smart Lines.
    24. Generation of concordance list to allow built-in searching.
    25. General improvements to slideshows to allow editable text; again not images.
    26. Promised CSV data import for tables.
    27. Locking Pages from being published.
    28. Printable output from a website page.
    29. Correct text alignments for justified text vs. SPANs. The WYSIWYG dilemma.
    30. Ditto HTML issues when embedding into Text Inside shapes.

Acorn
    Thank you for your list, there were certainly a number of points there that I hadn't considered before:

1) This kinda was planned for 16.1 but we ran into into problems which will be fixed possibly after 16.1 release.
    2) Can certainly suggest this as part of the NavBar redesign.
    3) As above
    4) Can you give me an example of how this would be used?
    5) We have a couple of solutions to improve the handling of mobile variants, although I don't think splitting them into separate files with redirects is planned. We're also looking into possibly being fully RWD with smart layouts in the future that may do away with the whole variant concept, although this is early in its development
    6) Could suggest this
    7) as above
    8) as above
    9) I believe it's planned as part of the SEO work to keep filenames on export, will certainly push for it anyway.
    10) Could suggest
    11) Which fault is this?
    12) Could suggest, although we generally discourage use of this name generally due to the fact we can't then guarantee the accurate positioning of text. I will try however to push for a cleanup of code so there aren't so many span tags, especially with fully justified.
    13) Can suggest. I saw a lot of examples use webkit extensions so I guess the concern is cross-browser compatibility.
    14) Can suggest.
    15) As above
    16) Tables are still heavily in the development works. There's a number of improvements that are going to come shortly but still loads more to do. Exporting tables to HTML is a wish-list item but not sure on it's possibility.
    17) similar to above
    18) Can you give me an example of what you mean? I've seen some users have '&' and '.' in page names which causes problems but not sure how you would resolve that other than through either a warning or letting them know what will happen.
    19) Is on the consideration list
    20) Widgets do need generally improving, it's just one of those things that we need sometime to spend time on and it's hard to find anyone with time.
    21) They won't reinstate the slideshow widget in V12 I can tell you now. I can suggest it but pretty sure that would get shot down (as generally anything that involves earlier versions)
    22) Can you elaborate on what you mean by ebook publishing? Like supporting .epub format?
    23) Some early designs are coming in 16.1 with more on the way.
    24) Do you mean something similar to the table of contents but for every word used?
    25) Slideshow improvements is certainly on the list, still debating how to go about it.
    26) Should be coming soon
    27) Can suggest it.
    28) This is something that was suggested before but generally we decided against it as printing from Web is hard to properly do, and is not a problem unique to Xara websites.
    29) See 12
    30) As above

Thanks
    Rob

Rob, positive and quick responses, thank you.

For Acorn#04, this is generally for searching down a problem object or alignment issues. It could be useful for documenting websites in PDF layer reveals.
    For Acorn#11, the Name is set insides a pair of empty SPANs when it is added to the complete text area either a Select > Name or Text tool > Select All > Name. If a word is highlighted and a Name added, it works correctly.
    For Acorn#18, create an index page and add another with '%' in the filename and simply Preview this second page --> Big red cross pop-up.
    For Acorn#22, yep .epub would work as I think that is effectively a wrapper of content.
    For Acorn#24, a concordance list of every word and its locations by page in the entire site.

Many thanks,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Rob, positive and quick responses, thank you.

For Acorn#04, this is generally for searching down a problem object or alignment issues. It could be useful for documenting websites in PDF layer reveals.
    For Acorn#11, the Name is set insides a pair of empty SPANs when it is added to the complete text area either a Select > Name or Text tool > Select All > Name. If a word is highlighted and a Name added, it works correctly.
    For Acorn#18, create an index page and add another with '%' in the filename and simply Preview this second page --> Big red cross pop-up.
    For Acorn#22, yep .epub would work as I think that is effectively a wrapper of content.
    For Acorn#24, a concordance list of every word and its locations by page in the entire site.

Many thanks,
    Acorn
    4) Could suggest this as a registry key entry I suppose, similar to the FTP debugging options.
    11) I see what you mean. I'll investigate and log it with the developers. There shouldn't be empty spans around.
    18) Wow, first time I've seen anything like that. I'll get it logged with developers.
    22) Can suggest that. I've only briefly looked into it but it looks just like XML? Shouldn't imagine it being too difficult but it really depends on the demand.
    24) I suppose we already have the table of contents that does something similar, could suggest it as another text feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    22) Can suggest that. I've only briefly looked into it but it looks just like XML? Shouldn't imagine it being too difficult but it really depends on the demand..
    Well, maybe/maybe not.

There are two types of ePubs, flowing and fixed-layout. Unless there are true, fundamental changes to Xara applications, a flowing ePub (which is the format of the largest number of ePubs by magnitude) cannot happen. If so, then Xara applications could do proper responsive websites et al.

A fixed-layout ePub, often used for children's books & comic books, is probably the "easiest" to obtain. But the way Xara web applications work/export, I don't know how easy it would be to pass eBook validation. But this type of ePub would be a target to obtain.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    4) Could suggest this as a registry key entry I suppose, similar to the FTP debugging options.
    11) I see what you mean. I'll investigate and log it with the developers. There shouldn't be empty spans around.
    18) Wow, first time I've seen anything like that. I'll get it logged with developers.
    22) Can suggest that. I've only briefly looked into it but it looks just like XML? Shouldn't imagine it being too difficult but it really depends on the demand.
    24) I suppose we already have the table of contents that does something similar, could suggest it as another text feature.
    Rob, thank you. For Acorn#18 - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Page-filename.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Any hope for vector improvements in the next releases?

Marc

Possibly, we're not ruling out improvements to the graphics and vector side of Xara, just focusing on bringing the web side a little more up to date.

(planned at least for after 16.1, that patch has been finalised and will be released very shortly).

True responsive design and not the fidgeting with different screen resolutions and their maintenance effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    True responsive design and not the fidgeting with different screen resolutions and their maintenance effort.
    I mean in the end that would be the ultimate goal, it's just one of those things that's far easier said than done. We do have kind of a plan for this but it's early ideas

I now maintain 46 of my clients'; websites made with Xara.
    So far I could persuade everyone to deal with only one desktop and one mobile version. Nevertheless, the expenditure is very high measured by the earnings.

I am from the classic graphic arts and printing industry and now still learn to program on the old days websites, I do not want to do myself any more.

Rob, thank you for your commitment to the TG