Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stair Case

This is my most recent projects, although working on several more. This turned out exactly how I wanted it, everything was done in xara. Hope you like it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Staircasecopy.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	5938  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

This is my most recent projects, although working on several more. This turned out exactly how I wanted it, everything was done in xara. Hope you like it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Wow Steve - That's really fantastic. When I suggested the photo in an earlier thread I didn't really think you'd do that actual building. I'm glad you did. It looks great and it will make a great portfolio piece for you. (Take it and a few others around to local architects' and developers' offices and you could start getting some paying work being a xartist!).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Amazing! How long does something like this take you in Xara?

wayne K
    Guam USA

Steve

Your image is quite magnificant. Creating a clean, beliveable-looking white building is very hard. Your colors are incredible.

Well drawn.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

I second what Gary says. From my limited experience with white-on-white it can be tedious trying to get subtle as well as dramatical renderings; however, when done it can be quite rewarding ... as your example shows.

Was this done totally freehand or did you scan a hand sketch as a guide?

Thank you very much, all of you! Yes, it was a nice challenge starting out, very hard to tell how dark the darkest color is going to be when it's not dark and what color to make the middle color so the highlights looked bright! However, once halfway into the project the color scheme becomes very familiar to you and you start to be able to see exactly how dark/light one color should be. After "finishing" it I had to go back and change multiple parts because the colors were off. I ended up with 29 various shades of blue/purple and a couple more greens/light browns.
    This was also the first time, I must say embarressingly [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] , that I used layers! All these years I havn't even noticed them, and I DON'T KNOW HOW I could have done ANYTHING without them! I ended up with 26 layers which helped me tremendously.
    I did have a picture to work off of which was so kindly provided by Ross. The selection was beautiful itself and I had to give it a try! I started April 21, and ended yesterday (May 10). So about 20 days of off and on work with other projects on the side, soooo, I'd guess about maybeee anywhere from 7-12 hours!? I usually don't pay attention to time on things like these, it usually flies while doing it, but next project I'll be sure to time it as best as I can

[This message was edited by Steve Newport on May 11, 2001 at 13:55.]
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Steve,

Wonderful! A while ago someone posted a drawing of their coffee cup. I decided to try mine, but it is white and I had no idea how to go about it...I thought making the background black would be cheating!

congrats!

Mickie

Anything that helps you create your picture is fine. Just make sure the color you create it on is close to your final background or you'll make it too bright or too dark. Give it a try, practice makes perfect!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Steve - Many architectural photographers use special perspective-correcting lenses (or bellows) when photographing buildings. They use them to lessen the perspective. The photo you used, and consequently your illustration, has a significant amount of perspective to a vanishing point high in the sky.

Using xara's mould tool I took your image and attempted to illustrate how the image would look with less perspective. The result is much more "architectural" for lack of a better word. I think that is because most architectural perspectives (by tradition) have either one or two vanishing points and hardly ever any vertical perspective. It is interesting that architectural photography, via perspective correction, has developed to simulate the kinds of views previously developed in drawing perspectives. I'm not that familiar with 3d architectural modeling and if vertical perspective is used typically or not.

I think the effect of lessening vertical perspective can result in the pure geometry of the forms being more clearly expressed. By the way it usually takes a trained eye to recognize if a photographer has used perspective correcting techniques. The effect is usually not exagerated enough to be readily apparent to lay people. My version of your image is just a quick example of the effect - it is not perfect. Unfortunately, destorting low res jpgs results in the jaggies but I think the image gets the idea across. It's not that I think you should change your image - I just thought you might find these ideas interesting for future reference.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on May 12, 2001 at 14:11.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stevestair.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	6824