Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default best variant sizes for high quality photo site

Hi all,
    I have a client who does amazing quality car photography. Currently, I have 3 variants: 1480, 960 and 480px.
    All is good but I would like to reduce it to 2 variants because adding large numbers of new mages is a PITA - they all are pop ups so you can see the images at full screen so if you have a large grid of say 60 images, they have to be in reverse order - the 1st image of the grid has to be last in the page&layer gallery, the 2nd image second-last etc.
    The client wants the images to be high quality, full screen on MacBook pro's, I pads and I phones.
    I phones 7 & 8 have a screen res of 1334x750 and 1920x1080 depending on which size screen you choose.
    Ipads vary - 2048x1536, 2224x1668 and 2732x2084.
    MacBook pro is 2880x1800.

So what 2 variant sizes would best cover this range given that the client wants the pics to look as god as possible.
    You can see the current site here: https://www.deskleineibst.com/

Many thanks,
    Mike

Default Re: best variant sizes for high quality photo site

Oh forgot - must also look great on a 24" Mac monitor!

I am a tad confused about the ask.

If I have a gazillion pixel wide image as as master and then use a Xara Photo pop-up with a width of 960px then what Xara exports is a 960px wide, 96 dpi image and Retina (@2x) with double the pixel width (and height).

All (Xara) pop-ups scale to the width of the viewport to a maximum you have set, say 1600px.

In the end, you probably need 2880px wide masters at 96 dpi .

I would lose the 480px variant as you need elbow room to look at posh cars.

IMHO and happy to be rebuked,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I do my sites at 1130 desktop and 700 mobile.

1280 and 640 respectively, but I think letsgofishing is referring to guide lines that would reasonably cover the range between 2880 and 720.

I've never had to go that high and wouldn't like to guess, but I will add another thing to consider; touch screens. You will need to allow for a border at the sides of your photos to allow scrolling up and down without triggering the pop-up.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Have gone with 1480 and 800 and client is happy

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Have gone with 1480 and 800 and client is happy
    As a person with one of the 2880 screens, I can say that your choice of 1480 as a horizontal width isn't great because it results in one of those annoying Xara websites that wobble from side to side because they can't fit horizontally so there's horizontal scrolling. The browser resolution is 1440.

I'm not sure why I don't see the 800 point version.

Your client may be happy but I just want to flag that this choice doesn't mean that all is well.