Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default I Just Discovered A Great Feature In Xara... Let's See If You Know How I Did It...

ok folks... I know you're sick of this damn site already...

But... in playing with the navigation, I discovered how to do something interesting. This is what the nav text does...

1. The text in the nav bar changes to white after selected...
    2. Or if you just scroll down to that section without clicking on any nav bar text, it turns white automatically.

Ok... who knows how I did it? - I know the pros will know... but it might be interesting/helpful for the less experienced.

The only thing I'll tell you is... it's not a Xara navbar or button... I created each link-text separately.

http://www.theeternallegacy.com/main.htm#
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Default Re: I Just Discovered A Great Feature In Xara... Let's See If You Know How I Did It..

Not wanting to let the cat out of a certain bag on the first reply, but also not sure enough to not answer...

Is my mate Bill a named item? If so, I'm pretty confident. If not I shall refuse food, water and sleep until I work it out.

Default Re: I Just Discovered A Great Feature In Xara... Let's See If You Know How I Did It..

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post

Ok... who knows how I did it? - I know the pros will know... but it might be interesting/helpful for the less experienced.

For one, you put in quite some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Not wanting to let the cat out of a certain bag on the first reply, but also not sure enough to not answer...

Is my mate Bill a named item? If so, I'm pretty confident. If not I shall refuse food, water and sleep until I work it out.
    Well Chris... what I CAN say is that Bill... is not "a named item"...

Hint: To make it easier to work out, try scaling the page slowly down to 50%, keeping an eye on the NavBar.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Hint: To make it easier to work out, try scaling the page slowly down to 50%, keeping an eye on the NavBar.

Acorn
    That was my assumption, although I jumped to my conclusion by scrolling slowly which gave the same effect. Two navbar links can be white simultaneously, one fades in, the other winks out, indicating a trigger set to 'Fade In'. Bill's head just poked up as this occurred, leading me to declare that Bill (now known as Colonel Mustard) was in the lounge with the trigger.

I'm tired, thirsty and hungry, but still batting at it.

Following Acorn's suggestion (mainly because I have no clue of my own) my inner Sherlock sleuthed that reducing the height of the Window has a grave effect on the navbar. I can achieve 1, 2 or 0 highlighted links. Therefore, the effect is triggered by the different sections of the site coming in and out of focus.

My conclusion? Black magic. Probably Voodoo and some form of blood sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Following Acorn's suggestion (mainly because I have no clue of my own) my inner Sherlock sleuthed that reducing the height of the Window has a grave effect on the navbar. I can achieve 1, 2 or 0 highlighted links. Therefore, the effect is triggered by the different sections of the site coming in and out of focus.

My conclusion? Black magic. Probably Voodoo and some form of blood sacrifice.
    First I want to say.... Chris, thanks for the belly laughs!

Yeah, you guys are pretty spot on... Triggers! It was new to me so I was fascinated and experimented on the client's site... (they wouldn't even know I'm doing) anyway...

1. originally a link is clicked, and it just moved down the page down to a 'named' (transparent) object placed where you want it (at the section it's linked to)
    • But I wanted the link to appear as a different color when arriving - in my case, white. (obviously to indicate where we are - pretty standard right?) And I wanted it to gently fade into the color. (white)
    • I couldn't figure out how make that happen... so as usual, I start digging and digging and trying this or that...
    • so I wound up in the 'web animation' panel staring down at the 'trigger object name' field at the bottom... hhhmmmmm? How am I going to do that (change the color of text when it get to the destination?

2. Being the genius that I'm told I'm not... I couldn't figure it out... until... BAMM!!!!... It came to me like a bolt from the blue...
    • maybe I can't do it with the existing text... but I could do it with another piece of text... so I...

3. Copied a link... pasted it in place-right on top... changed it to white... and
    • back to the 'web animation panel'
    • with the new 'white' on top, link highlighted, I just set the animation to fade-in to my liking
    • then set it not to activate until .... (down to the 'trigger object name') I choose which named 'transparent object' came into view... which faded in my copied white text... on top of the orig. link.

I'm laughing as I'm writing this because I know to the pros... all this is child's play... but when it comes to website design and all that goes along with it... THAT'S ME! A real ametuer! I can't think like a coder... I can't think like a trained graphic artist... or web designer... all I can do is 'see' something I like... then do my best to reverse engineer the design by trial and error... also...

... I thought at some level this might be helpful to some that are new to Xara... maybe, maybe not... but I had fun...

Now... There might be a better way to do what I did... I tried with mouse overs, but animation does not work on 'just' the mouse over layer... I think another way might be pop-up layers... but haven't played with it much... looks promising though.

Hey... thanks guys

Always learning from this forum.

Cliff

I hope all (or most) of the above makes sense... I'm too tired to proof it... LOL OH... and Acorn is way to clever and too good a detective to fool anyway... I sorta knew it before hand...

OH again... AND WHY WOULD ONE REDUCE THE % OF THE SCREEN? FOR WHAT PURPOSE? Was it just for THIS purpose... (ok, I'm done)

If you really want to push the boat out, you could replace Xara's scroll into view animations with http://jackonthe.net/css3animateit/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat