Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default up date service question

I have Xara Designer Pro 12 and the update service has expired ......Now if I take the upgrade offer of Xara Web Designer Premium of £34.99 will I be able to download all the content and use in my Xara Designer Pro 12

Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

Default Re: up date service question

Mike, if you Download All in XWDP16.0, and 'imminently' XWDP16.1, then in XDPX12 you use Local Designs gallery > Disc designs button and locate %localappdata%/Xara/WebDesignerPremium/16/Cache/designs/eng/, you should be able to link into the new content.

Use the What's New guide to check out newer Smart Shapes, which may not work in v12. Some might if you mangle the Name that some have included in the Names gallery, e.g., templateMinProgramVersion:15.1.0.; usually this indicated the Xara Desktop application has new code that does not exist in earlier versions but you may be lucky.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

In most cases, the newer Smart Shapes will import across form a V16 page into a v12 page. The Status line might report it is "inactive".
    If so, you need to use v16 for editing.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn ..... So I'm guessing the V12 I have will not update to use some of the features which makes sense..... But I don't use Xara for photo editing I use photoshop and Corel Draw for my large format printer.....only use Xara for web stuff.
    Might be a good Idea just to use the Xara Premium for web as the other Pro12 is just to expensive to justify the very limited updates.

Thanks again .
    Mike
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by mikerawlinson View Post
    Thanks Acorn ..... So I'm guessing the V12 I have will not update to use some of the features which makes sense..... But I don't use Xara for photo editing I use photoshop and Corel Draw for my large format printer.....only use Xara for web stuff.
    Might be a good Idea just to use the Xara Premium for web as the other Pro12 is just to expensive to justify the very limited updates.
    Thanks again Mike
    Mike, I agree with you that up to now the additions to v15 & v16 has been limiting but I have been assured that v16.1 is much improved.

Acorn

Thanks Acorn ......And the Premium would give me that I assume .??????

Mike

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Detailed information on the features and improvement since v12 can be found here:
    v16 - http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/web-designer-16/
    v15 - https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/whats-new/older/

Feedback has been positive from Web Designer users so here is the information for you to decide too. Also you can install the v16 trial to test drive it.

Happy creating,
    Matt
    CEO of Xara

Mike
    Mike, Premium OCC access has fewer objects than XDPX but you are paying less.

I can just about build anything in Premium but I keep XPDX on hand for the heavy lifting and the non-web extras it affords.

Acorn

Well I have bought Xara premium .....and all looks the same as what I have been used to with pro12....... I don't need all the photo parts so I guess i'm ok .....
    I would like to use it on 3 computers so I guess I would need to purchase another licence ?
    Mike

Well I have bought Xara premium .....and all looks the same as what I have been used to with pro12....... I don't need all the photo parts so I guess i'm ok .....
    I would like to use it on 3 computers so I guess I would need to purchase another licence ?
    Mike
    Mike, you could but XDPX12 will do 95% of what XWDP16 offers so why not split: (1) XDPX12 + XWDP16 (2) XDPX12 (3) XWDP16.
    On those rare occasions where you need both on (2) or (3), de-activate the one on the machine you are not using and re-active so you have a pair.

You ought not run the same version of the same application, XPDX or XWDP, on two machines at once but other than that the activation process is quick.

Acorn