Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Strange letter  before prices

Hello everyone, Ive recently decided to use Xara web design premium to update my business website and it requires using lots of £ signs, but every time there is a strange letter  before the £ sign. It wasnt like it on my old site and Ive been in touch with my website host who has suggested going through the code for each page and deleting the symbol. But I cant seem to work out how to view the code for the pages in xara.

Does anyone know how to view the code so I can delete the unwanted symbols? Or is there a better way to eliminate the problem all together for future pages? I have searched the forum but couldnt find any answers.

Any tips and ideas would be great.

Thanks.
    Nick

Default Re: Strange letter  before prices

Welcome to TalkGraphics Nick.

Since Web Designer is a WYSIWYG design program you should not need to edit the code. Check back and see if one of the members has a suggestion. There really should be no issues with the £ symbol as Xara is a British company.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be a font problem, even though its a web safe one, but experimented with some other fonts, and just lose the £ sign completely. I was using serif web plus previously and was all fine with that. Using the same laptop for designing and publishing too. Its fine on the preview site, just not when its actually published. All the pages work and load ok, its just some unwanted symbols before the £ signs that are a problem. Here is the page in question:

http://www.impactvideos.co.uk/stock%20car%20racing.htm

This seems to be happening in the PayPal widget. Is it happening anywhere else on the site?

Let me see if I can get someone to have a look at what is going on here.

Weird, seems to affect some and not others. Can you send me your .web/.xar project file so I can see what is happening?

Thanks
    Rob

He needs someplace to send the file Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    He needs someplace to send the file Rob.
    Ive been experimenting with the fonts, and it looks like some work and some dont. Looks like if I change the font to Lucida Sans Unicode or Verdana that seems to fix the issue. It happens on any text with a £ sign. But think Ive got a work around by changing the font

OK Great. Do you have this problem if you include the pound currency symbol in the text? Or is this just happening with the PayPal widgets?

Its any text where the £ sign is written. Not just the paypal widget, but anywhere with a £ sign. Ive also realised the ' symbol creates a similar issue too. Changing the font cures the A symbol but now its leaving a gap before the £ sign instead. If you look at this page for my wedding videos, the text in the red box should be centered but the price isnt.

Any ideas?

http://www.impactvideos.co.uk/weddings.htm

Loading your site and I do see the A before the £, but only as it loads, it magically disappears once the page has fully loaded. I have an Aus layout so I used the ALT code and couldn't replicate it using several (4) different fonts from the 'Google Fonts' section.

Couple of questions:
    What font are you using? (the PayPal button one and the one that leaves a gap on the wedding page)
    I'm presuming a UK keyboard but just for curiosity, use the ALT code 0163 and see if it does the same. (alt+0163 gives £)

In fact I just looked again and the whole font family is different as the page loads, then flicks to a different font once the page has loaded.