Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Php/SQL Problem

Default Php/SQL Problem

I'm trying to add an address book using a php template that incorporates an SQL database.

Everything went to plan until I tried to increase the amount of characters in one of the fields. Here's how I attacked it:
    PhpMyAdmin > Structure > Change > edited VARCHAR from 50 to 150
    There was no change when I either add new data or edit existing data, I'm still only allowed 50 characters. I also tried restricting the limit to 4 but was still allowed 50. PhpMyAdmin said the table had been altered successfully.

My knowledge of php and SQL is next door to zero so I have no idea if this is a simple thing I'm unaware of, or something with too many possible variables to be answered in a forum situation.

Default Re: Php/SQL Problem

Hi Chris, that limit could possibly be set in the form validation script.

I found this in the 'include' folder in 'settings.php' It has the word settings, so I'm very encouraged! Also 'maxlength=50' - which of course could mean anything, but I'm going to alter it without making a backup and then forget what I did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	123435

Well that worked a treat. Thank you very much James. I'm cracking a can of Guinness in your honour (sorry, we only get cans here and they probably taste nothing like the real thing).

Name:	Guinness.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	123436

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Well that worked a treat. Thank you very much James. I'm cracking a can of Guinness in your honour (sorry, we only get cans here and they probably taste nothing like the real thing).

Name:	Guinness.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	123436
    Draft Guinness uses a mix of CO2 and Nitrogen; the widget in a can uses Nitrogen and I believe the Guinness is carbonated. The mixing mechanisms will differ but probably not too much.
    In trials, I have always fallen asleep before the evidence was conclusive.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hey Chris, glad you found were that was set! Enjoy man!