Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default GIANT Index.html file

I have created a website using Web Designer 11 Pro

It contains about 165 pages with text & pictures (in picture display Widgets)

Three seperate device types:
    Main - 960PX
    Mobile - 480PX
    Notebook - 640PX

My index html page is very simple:
    Several plain text boxes (5).
    A single scrolling text box.
    9 button Navigation Bar that links to 9 other pages that spiderweb out to various other pages.

My index.htm file is 5.26 MEGABYTES!!!!

Any reason why its so huge? (It takes FOREVER to load).

Hints for reducing its size to something more reasonable?
    Do I have something turned on that I shouldn't have?

Thanks
    Ron

Default Re: GIANT Index.html file

Ron, I would check under Utilities > Export Options that you have selected a Conventional website.

On the actual website, you may currently find any of the pages have a hash (#) in the address indicating it is acting as a Supersite.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you.

The Supersite box was indeed checked.

I have now checked the Conventional box & will retry publishing it to see what happens.

Wodlik, good to hear.
    The 5MB index file itself was not the delay, it is the HTML calls of all the images in your site across all variants.

It you are still getting slow loads then you can use Utilities > Optimise all images. I do recommend you check you have the originals copied elsewhere as well.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

My website is hosted by GoDaddy.com

Publishing the Website whether the Conventional or Supersite boxes are checked still results in a index.htm file of over 5 MB.
    if I simply export the website to a directory on my hard disk, the index.htm file is only about 5.400 KB.

I have already optimized all of the images in the site down to 192 DPI. Note: The images inside of the 50 Widgets had to be optimized separately. There are probably about 5,000 different *.jpg images in the website (I haven't actually counted them).

Is it at all possible to create three different index files in my website Public_Html directory? {Main} for PC's, {Mobile} for cellphones & {640px for Notebooks this would reduce the HTML calls for each of the three by 2/3?

Index.html.main
    Index.html.mobile
    index.html.640px

Quote Originally Posted by Wodlik View Post
    My website is hosted by GoDaddy.com

Publishing the Website whether the Conventional or Supersite boxes are checked still results in a index.htm file of over 5 MB.
    if I simply export the website to a directory on my hard disk, the index.htm file is only about 5.400 KB.

I have already optimized all of the images in the site down to 192 DPI. Note: The images inside of the 50 Widgets had to be optimized separately. There are probably about 5,000 different *.jpg images in the website (I haven't actually counted them).

Is it at all possible to create three different index files in my website Public_Html directory? {Main} for PC's, {Mobile} for cellphones & {640px for Notebooks this would reduce the HTML calls for each of the three by 2/3?

Index.html.main
    Index.html.mobile
    index.html.640px
    Wodlik, I suggest you delete the entire published site and republish. Clearly the index.htm is not being replaced. Do confirm it is not index.html.

How are you publishing? Through Xara or FileZilla?
    In either case it is possibly to get to the published files and look at the publish date/time. In xara, you are looking for Explore web space in the Publish dialog.

You cannot separate out the index files as you suggest as Xara uses code to identify the browser width and switch out the variants that are the wrong size.
    I have a solution that does exactly what you are after but it is still in test. Stick with the Xara approach for now as your combined index filesize, for all the variants, is very small, the 5.4kB one, that is.

Acorn

WODLIK: Just a quick comment: I love Xara but... But you sir... are a very brave soul! A 3-variant, 165 page website with many pictures (in widgets yet)! YOU... have the heart of a lion.

I hope that's not just one (1) file... My level of trust in Web Designer (any version) is just not that high.

If I had to do a site such as that (muzzle pointed at my temple) I would HAVE TO break that up into many separate sections.
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Acorn:

Sorry, I was grasping at straws for a fix.

I don't know exactly what I did yesterday, but it didn't seem to change anything.

This morning, I deleted all of the files on my website & started over.

I always publish through Xara.

When I re-published this morning, again using "Conventional" instead of "Supersite". ALL was somehow magically corrected. Now in my FTP Home directory there is an individual *.htm file for each web page I have created. The site now loads extremely quickly.

I AM A HAPPY CAMPER!

Thank you very much for your help!

Ron

cmpan1

LOL!

Not really brave, but just a know-nothing one man dog & pony show novice trying to do something with my many (1600) favorite Recipes.

YUP! The site is currently back to being just one .web file. I originally had broken it up into several different sections, but being old (77) and suffering at times from Senior Moments, I had extensive "problems" with navigating through all of those different pages located in different directories.

I may eventually be forced to return there, because I get intermittent "Out of Memory" errors now when publishing.

Today, I didn't get one when I published the site as Conventional rather than Supersite, i guess we'll see. Maybe Conventional will be my silver bullet.

Thanks
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Wodlik View Post
    Acorn:
    Sorry, I was grasping at straws for a fix.
    I don't know exactly what I did yesterday, but it didn't seem to change anything.
    This morning, I deleted all of the files on my website & started over.
    I always publish through Xara.
    When I re-published this morning, again using "Conventional" instead of "Supersite". ALL was somehow magically corrected. Now in my FTP Home directory there is an individual *.htm file for each web page I have created. The site now loads extremely quickly.
    I AM A HAPPY CAMPER!
    Thank you very much for your help!
    Ron
    Ron, I am glad we could help.

Acorn