Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PANIC!! How to add a MPEG-2 file in Graphics Designer PRO?

Hi,

I have made a website (www.jimseido.com) that should include a video.
    I have made the video in Magix Movie Edit Pro Premium and saved it as a MPEG-4 (mp4) video.
    It shows great on my PC (Win 7 64-bit Ultimate) with Firefox and both as full screen and mobile widths.
    However, the video does not show in my Samsung Android.

Then I saved the video as a MPEG-2 (mpg) file. BUT - Xara Designer Pro does not support that file format. I get errors when I drag the file to the web page.

What can I do?
    My client is mad and I need to get this to work asap.

Can anyone help?

/Olle in Sweden
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Default Re: PANIC!! How to add a MPEG-2 file in Graphics Designer PRO?

As you are in a panic and patiently waiting online for an answer, I'll simply give you a link to download the clip I converted that works on the native Android browser. My Android is a 2 years old now, so test it well to make sure.

I'll post back to tell you what I did. (this is very quick and dirty. Test it well!)

https://auzlink.net.au/jim.zip

Thanks!
    But - Xara does not accept the file format when I drag the file in to the designer page. File format not supported...

/Olle with even less hair... ;-)
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

I used Hamster Video Converter because it's free and I'm cheap. There are plenty of other options that will give you better control, play around and test a few.
    You should also take the quality down as low as you dare for streaming online and Hamster doesn't do that very well. This one I dropped the quality to low and dropped the bitrate to 100 and it still came out a bigger file size than the original.

I also prefer to upload the video separately and use a placeholder to point at the file instead of embedding it into Xara. It makes uploading edited content so much quicker and I've convinced myself the page loads faster when it's live (pretty sure I'm delusional on that point though).

Just because files end in mp4 doesn't mean they're all the same, mp4 is just a container, it's what's inside that makes the difference. A few years ago I spent more time asking people with different mobiles to test a video than I did in making the thing, Apple was the pain in the bum then.

Upload the file separately and grab the link.
    Make a placeholder where you want the video to show.
    In the 'HTML Code (Body) paste the following and change the path to point to your video:

<video controls="controls"
    <source src="YOUR LINK GOES HERE" type="video/mp4" />

You can add autoplay and loop settings too, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I'll look.

Arghh, I'm sorry, I have to go and earn a crust now. If you can pick out bits from the following link from Acorn's deep mine of wisdom give them a go. I've never had to go so deep, but I have done the autoplay and such, but can't remember where.

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...773#post604773

Thanks! It did not work as intended, but I'll check what Acorn wrote and hopefully I'll get it to work.

Good luck with the crust ;-)

/Olle
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

I tried with a few converters and could get it play in some browsers and not others, but I did it before with Adrenalin Parties so it's a matter of me forgetting what I did. Sorry.
    Firefox was the one that didn't want to play. IE, Edge and vanilla Android (Meisu and Samsung) were fine.

I did find the autoplay and loop code though:
    <video controls="controls" autoplay= "true" loop= "continuous"
    <source src="YOUR LINK GOES HERE" type="video/mp4" />