Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo flip

Default Photo flip

Hi Guys and Gals, been away for some time in annoying you with what are usually silly nigley problems. My previous problem of failure of Xara was all down to my computer performance and thanks to those who pointed it out especially Egg.

Now with windows 10 64 bit and 8Gb ram all of my previous problems have faded away.

To date I am having trouble with the treatment of pictures opened in Xara with the handles in that I cannot seem to use the flip facility in Xara to act with a photo whereas before (handles)you could. Am I missing something (if past history is anything to go by-yes)?

Ken

Default Re: Photo flip

Quote Originally Posted by mentorman View Post
    Hi Guys and Gals, been away for some time in annoying you with what are usually silly nigley problems. My previous problem of failure of Xara was all down to my computer performance and thanks to those who pointed it out especially Egg.
    Now with windows 10 64 bit and 8Gb ram all of my previous problems have faded away.
    To date I am having trouble with the treatment of pictures opened in Xara with the handles in that I cannot seem to use the flip facility in Xara to act with a photo whereas before (handles)you could. Am I missing something (if past history is anything to go by-yes)?
    Ken
    Ken, check if you have Smart transform enabled. You cannot flip with dragging the black controls. The Flip horizontally / Flip vertically buttons should still work.

You can override "Smart Transform" by holding down the Alt key before any other action.

@Xara - Smart Transform is not needed for images so remove it. If you want Smart Transform actions, the switch to the Photo Tool provides the Smart Transform features.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ken, check if you have Smart transform enabled. You cannot flip with dragging the black controls. The Flip horizontally / Flip vertically buttons should still work.

You can override "Smart Transform" by holding down the Alt key before any other action.

@Xara - Smart Transform is not needed for images so remove it. If you want Smart Transform actions, the switch to the Photo Tool provides the Smart Transform features.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn see you are on the rescue ball as usual. Thanks. Only problem being I have no idea about smart transform and a search around my xara reveals nothing relating. Obviously I am looking in the wrong place or missed the relevant menu entry so must throw myself on your mercy for some more basic info, Oh mighty one! All of my images open with the handles to rotate and the size control in bottom right of picture. The old black handles seem to have disappeared. Help me in my stupidity please.

ken

Hi Acorn, did a google search and found it. It is all under the aspect ratio icon which switches it on or off. Thanks for your time. Pity Xara help isn't as good as google search

Ken

Glad you managed to find the option! we do have an article here on this, could improve it I guess:

https://help.xara.com/article/207-ho...-xara-designer

@acorn sigh Smart transform has nothing to do with image flipping. I know you hate it but you can't blame it for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    @acorn sigh Smart transform has nothing to do with image flipping. I know you hate it but you can't blame it for everything.
    Rob, sigh back.

Image flipping can be done two ways. (1) With the Flip icons that I mentioned. (2) With the central black control points, drag any beyond the opposite one and the image flips. With Smart Transform selected, it most certainly doesn't. If you hold down the Alt key with ST on, it flips.

Sigh.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Rob, sigh back.

Image flipping can be done two ways. (1) With the Flip icons that I mentioned. (2) With the central black control points, drag any beyond the opposite one and the image flips. With Smart Transform selected, it most certainly doesn't. If you hold down the Alt key with ST on, it flips.

Sigh.
    Acorn
    If you use the handles then you can't maintain the maintain the aspect ratio / size which is why we have the buttons on the toolbar. It makes no sense to flip an object with the handles.

If you use the handles then you can't maintain the maintain the aspect ratio / size which is why we have the buttons on the toolbar. It makes no sense to flip an object with the handles.
    It does when you are being creative and don't have a UI stopping you.

There used to be a very simple flow around manipulation. One could create a shape, image or text, rotate, stretch, flip, skew, all without recourse to the toolbar to toggle state or change to the Photo or Smart Shape tool.
    A case in point is the water reflection of a shape: clone and drag downward to flip. Both shapes align along the horizontal; the flip and distortion is planned. Using the flipper icons, one has to pick the reflection origin point, hold down the Alt key if ST is on or toggle ST off and then distort.

Dynamic and not stuttering.
    Acorn

... It makes no sense to flip an object with the handles.
    Only in most instances ... Even so, why would any creative graphic design program deliberately prevent you from doing it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sorry Rob, I have to throw my 2 cents in here too. I used to deform text using the beloved method for posters, ads and social media posts. I tend to drift towards another software package as a default for those tasks now.

In fact that's a good point to bring up. Xara used to be the Swiss Army Knife, but now I think about it, I do seem to be firing up other software more than I used to.