Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo flip

Default Re: Photo flip

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    If you use the handles then you can't maintain the maintain the aspect ratio / size which is why we have the buttons on the toolbar. It makes no sense to flip an object with the handles.
    Ermmm... Did I miss anything? I'm used to flip objects by dragging central handles with Ctrl (aspect ratio maintained) or Shift+Ctrl (then the object is flipped "in place"), I almost never use the flip buttons on the toolbar.

Still works for me Morris. Designer Pro X-16. And I just learned something new. I have used Xara since 1996 and never knew about the Ctrl Shift flip in place trick.

And it works with and without Smart Transform.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Still works for me Morris. Designer Pro X-16. And I just learned something new. I have used Xara since 1996 and never knew about the Ctrl Shift flip in place trick.
    Yeah, I know it works. That's why I was suprised by Rob's statement that I quoted - as if he did not know the Ctrl-flip "trick" (for maintaining aspect ratio of the flipped object).

I too use CTRL drag to FLIP and RESIZE in one motion. Rarely do I use the FLIP buttons ... I have to specifically think about them, and that's normally only when cloning and mirroring.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I think this is because it is a very old behavior before it was "improved"

Quote Originally Posted by morris View Post
    Ermmm... Did I miss anything? I'm used to flip objects by dragging central handles with Ctrl (aspect ratio maintained) or Shift+Ctrl (then the object is flipped "in place"), I almost never use the flip buttons on the toolbar.
    Ctrl+Shift is also essential for integer scaling H, V & diagonally.

Few look at the Status Line and check out what it offers in the way of meta-key manipulation.
    Some are very powerful.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    If you use the handles then you can't maintain the maintain the aspect ratio / size which is why we have the buttons on the toolbar. It makes no sense to flip an object with the handles.
    Rob this just has to be 'the corporate line' right.. you cannot really believe it yourself ? not maintaining aspect ratio makes no sense ?

What that says is if you go on a holiday it makes no sense to go your own way when you get there rather than stick only with the tour operator's scheduled tours

Quote Originally Posted by acorn
    Few look at the Status Line and check out what it offers in the way of meta-key manipulation
    very true
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have only use the buttons on the tool bar. I never new about the using the selector handles. It just goes to show that Xara has a lot of different ways to do the same job. Unfortunately some of them appear to be older methods that people forget about and it takes someone to remind everybody about a feature.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Rob this just has to be 'the corporate line' right.. you cannot really believe it yourself ? not maintaining aspect ratio makes no sense ?
    This is in context with flipping images / objects. I have yet to see anyone not want to maintain aspect ratio when flipping. I'm not saying there aren't those who do, I'm just saying it's more edge case than the norm.

what about dragging down a clone to make a shadow below ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...