Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fibonacci Curve

Default Re: Fibonacci Curve

I wonder if this is the basis for Xara's smart shape spiral?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would remember this tool and you did Fred. Not sure if it will do the job Rik is trying to achieve though.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curve.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	123352  

Pixabay has a svg version. It’s one thing drawing (or downloading) the curve guide, but another doing anything useful with it. Maybe drawing snails?
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Thanks for your comments and suggestions guys.

I know that Xara has the option of being able to draw a SPIRAL.
    But, that's not the same as the Fibonacci Curve.

And many thanks for the link (reminder) to the SPX Spiral Generator.
    I did used to have that, but, I've downloaded it again.
    But, whilst it looks as though it produces something that looks like a Fibonacci Curve, it actually isn't.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Lightbulb Re: Fibonacci Curve

Rik, here is my best shot.

Following the Fibonacci sequence (1, 1, 2, 3, 5 ,8, 13 21, 34, ...), I created a vertical line of unit length (here 50px).
    I copied that and turned it 90° (horizontal) and created new lines the length matching the Fibonacci Sequence (above).

After running out of paper (A2), I switched to the Shape Tool and with Smooth Join, I touched each of the corners, moving along the line from in to out.

The trick is to choose a source point, just off the start point and to finish beyond the end point with a nearby sink point; these allow the sequence to be effectively truncated.

Fibonacci Curve.xar.

No guarantees it is right as the curves are Bezier but possibly more accurate than quarter circles.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Rik, here is my best shot.

Following the Fibonacci sequence (1, 1, 2, 3, 5 ,8, 13 21, 34, ...), I created a vertical line of unit length (here 50px).
    I copied that and turned it 90° (horizontal) and created new lines the length matching the Fibonacci Sequence (above).

After running out of paper (A2), I switched to the Shape Tool and with Smooth Join, I touched each of the corners, moving along the line from in to out.

The trick is to choose a source point, just off the start point and to finish beyond the end point with a nearby sink point; these allow the sequence to be effectively truncated.

Fibonacci Curve.xar.

No guarantees it is right as the curves are Bezier but possibly more accurate than quarter circles.

Acorn
    I can't say that I could follow all your instructions, but, the good thing was that you included your .xar file.

And when I place my curve made with semi-circles over yours, then there's a marked difference.
    And if I download a Fibonacci Curve from the Internet and place my curve over the top, then it's pretty perfect.
    And, I'm sorry to say that yours doesn't quite fit.

However, I am extremely grateful to you for trying to show me, and posting your file so that I could have a look at it.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Rik, I must have got a bit dizzy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I created a continuous straight line tracing over Acorn's line segments, converted the control points to Curve, then clicked Make Curve (but first as suggested, added a tiny extra length at the start and one at the end) then it does indeed create a curve to match your results. And the beauty of vectors is once you have your right angles constructed, you can reduce the line to a more convenient size.

Name:	Methode Acorn.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	123360  

Since my vector line fibonacci spiral stereogram was so well received I decided to do another, this one using a blend of two curves.

Name:	Fibonacci II.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	123361  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Since my vector line fibonacci spiral stereogram was so well received I decided to do another, this one using a blend of two curves.
    Told you I got dizzy!

Acorn