Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Fibonacci Curve

Hybrid View

Default Re: Fibonacci Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Rik, here is my best shot.

Following the Fibonacci sequence (1, 1, 2, 3, 5 ,8, 13 21, 34, ...), I created a vertical line of unit length (here 50px).
    I copied that and turned it 90° (horizontal) and created new lines the length matching the Fibonacci Sequence (above).

After running out of paper (A2), I switched to the Shape Tool and with Smooth Join, I touched each of the corners, moving along the line from in to out.

The trick is to choose a source point, just off the start point and to finish beyond the end point with a nearby sink point; these allow the sequence to be effectively truncated.

Fibonacci Curve.xar.

No guarantees it is right as the curves are Bezier but possibly more accurate than quarter circles.

Acorn
    I can't say that I could follow all your instructions, but, the good thing was that you included your .xar file.

And when I place my curve made with semi-circles over yours, then there's a marked difference.
    And if I download a Fibonacci Curve from the Internet and place my curve over the top, then it's pretty perfect.
    And, I'm sorry to say that yours doesn't quite fit.

However, I am extremely grateful to you for trying to show me, and posting your file so that I could have a look at it.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Rik, I must have got a bit dizzy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I created a continuous straight line tracing over Acorn's line segments, converted the control points to Curve, then clicked Make Curve (but first as suggested, added a tiny extra length at the start and one at the end) then it does indeed create a curve to match your results. And the beauty of vectors is once you have your right angles constructed, you can reduce the line to a more convenient size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Methode Acorn.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	123360  

Since my vector line fibonacci spiral stereogram was so well received I decided to do another, this one using a blend of two curves.

Name:	Fibonacci II.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	123361  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Since my vector line fibonacci spiral stereogram was so well received I decided to do another, this one using a blend of two curves.
    Told you I got dizzy!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

My first thought:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiral.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	123364

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    My first thought:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiral.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	123364
    Nice try, ernie.

But, that's not a Fibonacci Curve.
    That's just a curve that's getting bigger exponentially.
    I tried that.
    And if you have a go, then try and put your exponential curve over the top of a Fibonacci Curve, then you'll see that they are not the same.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

In all the time we have been going round and round you could have created the world's most exquisite Finonacci curve Rik.

Problem with trying to use Xara's smooth bezier curves is they're not very good. Try creating a circle from four lines, converted to smooth curves. Definetly not a circle.

Inkscape has a better tool using it's spiro beziers.

Name:	export.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	123369  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host