Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Help changing only width or height of an image?

could be web designer dosn't do this - we had to 'make noise' to get it reinstated in xdp and xp&g when it was ommitted in ver 15.0 - xara's philosophy of making design for web and office documents 'easy' [and 'non-destructive' as Rob said] tends to discount squishing as unwanted distortion - it would not be the only thing missing from the web specific programs

acorn will probably know...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    could be web designer dosn't do this - we had to 'make noise' to get it reinstated in xdp and xp&g when it was ommitted in ver 15.0 - xara's philosophy of making design for web and office documents 'easy' [and 'non-destructive' as Rob said] tends to discount squishing as unwanted distortion - it would not be the only thing missing from the web specific programs

acorn will probably know...
    The current approach (Smart Transform) in XDPXv16.0 was applied to v15.1 but not before, if that helps. I stopped the Update Service for XWDPv15.0 so I can only hazard a guess that no v15.0 Desktop applications have any mechanism to bypass this situation. Xara stands by its position that is is not a bug. As a result I still keep XWDPv12.8 at hand.

All very sad,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I equate the approach as - our software is not really meant to do this [squish] unless you are one of those designers who use bitmaps that are not photographs, or who 'distort' photographs before tracing over them for art ,which actually, is a pretty common workflow at least for animation - this is not our core client base

it was at least good of them to put back the legacy way in ver 15.1

and lets face it, even with the tools it has, xara's raster tools are rather macdonalds to photoshop's beef wellington; if you want to do mesh warp and the like you can't use xara anyway, unless you set another program up an external editor which does not always work as it should
    Nothing lasts forever...

NOTE: Chris said he did this in WDP 16, which doesn't work.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

put back in in ver 15.1 of XDP .then.. as far as web designer goes I don't know it was ever there as I said...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    NOTE: Chris said he did this in WDP 16, which doesn't work.
    Apologies, this should be fixed in the next patch

so it worked in wd15 but not in wd16 - then I rest my case... xara's priorities [in my opinion] are elsewhere... either that or they have grown 'careless'
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    so it worked in wd15 but not in wd16 - then I rest my case... xara's priorities [in my opinion] are elsewhere... either that or they have grown 'careless'
    No, it didn't work in WD15 nor in 16, but we've fixed it and it should be in the next patch coming up. No need to be sassy either.

Wow, this really is a splinter in the collective finger.

I can get around the lack of squish/squash, it's the lack of snapping when resizing in Smart Transform that bothers me more. Even that isn't a huge deal, it just slows the workflow.

It sounds like the Smart Transform seemed like a good idea but may need some rethink. Having said that, are there any users that think it works well?

It sounds like the Smart Transform seemed like a good idea but may need some rethink. Having said that, are there any users that think it works well?
    No, just remove it and convert to how it used to be. It's an unnecessary complication that confuses not only new users but vetran users.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host