Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How Photo Optimize Anti-aliasing works?

Hi,

In Photo Optimize / Advanced / Bitmap Size / Anti-aliasing are two options: "Maintain screen anti-aliasing" and "Minimize visible anti-aliasing".
    Do you know how do they work? I tested both with not visible effects. It neither makes sense to me the concept in a raster image.

Thank you

Default Re: How Photo Optimize Anti-aliasing works?

Hi,
    The way I understand the optimize is that for print the image is 150dpi and up but for
    browser you don't need that high a resolution so Xara outputs at either 72 or 96 dpi
    depending on the windows or Mac scenerio..or Internet use but I am not an expert,,,
    Scotty
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

from the program help:

Anti-aliasing

Anti-aliasing improves the appearance of graphics by smoothing jagged edges:

•Maintain Screen Anti-aliasing: The exported bitmap uses the exact same positioning as shown on screen, and so has identical anti-aliasing. This can result in the edges of objects being slightly blurred because they do not fall exactly on pixel boundaries.

•Minimize Visible Anti-aliasing: This will slightly reposition the objects by fractions of a pixel to minimize the anti-aliasing around the edge of the exported bitmap. If in doubt which option to use, select this.
    hope it does
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

btw - if you compare the two export files they may well be one pixel different in size in one dimesion or the other due to the adjusting - not a lot but can be significant in some instances [such as animation, them pixels can mount up...]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you.

After reading your description I understood Xara needs it for vector images, I found it is the same functionality of the Export / Settings window.
    I did not see any change because I tested a raster image. I may say the option does not work with such kind of images, actually, you should not need the advanced options.

correct me if I am wrong - but you can only do a photo/optimise operation on a bitmap...

and yes the function is the same for the optimise and for the export to bitmap [and for that matter, bitmap copy]

you will not see any difference in many instances 'can' is the word, not 'will'
    Nothing lasts forever...

Could you confirm "raster" is the same as bitmap? Sometimes punters rescale away from integer widths and heights or non-integer positioning against a textured background so you can still get aliasing.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

here is an example of the difference in anti-aliasing at the edge of a bitmap export...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-07 16_40_45-Xara Designer Pro X - [Untitled1 _].jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	123313
    Nothing lasts forever...

and export from vector shape:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-07 16_49_48-Xara Designer Pro X - [Untitled2 _].png 
Views:	79 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	123314

simple examples, not that much to see... but for some requirements when matching one bitmap to another for example it can become important at the pixel level
    Nothing lasts forever...