Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Publishing Problem - Missing File

This might be a silly question but why would their be two index files?
    Several reasons. Might be files left over from a site that was created in another program that published using the .html extension.

Or you might have published using index.html for your save as name, and then published changes and just saved as the default index which exports as index.htm

In the olden days, PC computers could not support file extensions with more than 3 characters. On the other hand the Mac could use long extensions if they wanted to.

And for whatever reason (perhaps Mac bias) the full extension took precedence over the shortened version. All browsers accept both extensions.

The best bet is to delete all the files on the server and republish your site. Then you will only have one version of the site posted.

Thanks for the explanation Gary. Really appreciate the help.

Think I will follow your advice and delete all of the files and republish.

Cheers

Paul

Gary is spot on, and I've seen it a couple of times before where users have gone to publish and replace their old site but the old site uses .html instead of .htm, and .html takes preference first.

Tip: in Xara, rename index to index.html in the Page and Layer Gallery and all pages will be exported with that extension also, if you prefer to use .html instead of .htm

Rob - Wouldn't it make sense to make this the default extension instead of htm?

Yes, I can't even remember the reason why we use .htm instead of .html... I would guess it should be a simple change but don't quote me on that, I know the HTML filter is very complicated.