Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation Xara Mobile Version Not Linking To Main

Hello All,

I was having the same problem that many of you have had where you needed to change text or content on the mobile version and didn’t want it to be changed on the main version. Well, I saw in one of these threads that I could unlink them. This does mean that I would have to copy the info to both sides but I dont mind.

I personally don’t really like mobile pages but my target audience does. I tried it out and it’s working great with one problem. I can’t switch to the main version unless I’m on desktop. Even if I click “request desktop version,” it doesn’t work! I’m not sure if this is because I unlinked them or not. (I don’t think it is.)

Since the majority of my audience only uses their phones or tablets, is there a way around this? A code or something?

I’m using an IPhone X. My Xara Web Designer says v16?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by monicaanne1316; 06 February 2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Adding technical specs

Default Re: Xara Mobile Version Not Linking To Main

Hi Monicaanne1316!

It sounds like the content isn't being shared between variants? If you right-click an object > Website Variants > Share with all variants, it should share them on all the other variants which would then be shared and any changes would be reflected between them.

Some objects can't be shared however due to technical reasons, and these are copied instead. Text should certainly be shared but something like a NavBar or placeholder can only be copied.

The "Request desktop version" won't work currently due to the way the responsive web design works but it's something on my list to suggest to the developers to implement.

Worse comes to worse, you can always send me your file to take a look at :)

Many thanks
    Rob

I am a newby with Xara, a Webplus migrant. I set up my site using a responsive template and had all sorts of problems with the different versions so in the end I deleted all but the main desktop version. I must say it works fine on my mobile and tablet so I wonder if we really need responsive because practically everyone uses a modern smart phone these days that takes care of the responsiveness. www.wcsw.org.uk if you want to have a look bearing in mind it is work-in-progress.

Mobile devices and tablets will zoom out to the sites width, but it's not responsive per se. With your large buttons it may be easier to press them on a smaller screen however Google won't see this as being mobile friendly.

If you can describe the problems your having with the mobile variant I'd be happy to help.