Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Way to circumvent font limitations of pop-up styles ?

Pop-up / submenu styles is very limited, e.g. in case you would like different font family or italics that fit with the top menu style. Xara WD has in my view not so usefull options like transparency, border, animation, offset, direction and so on but simply lacks many usefull font families with italics styles. In my case I chose Segoe print italics for menu and text so I am forced to show submenu in one of the more simple fonts offered (Verdana is not bad but no italics)

Why this has been so limited is a mystery to me but is there some way to circumvent this limitation ? I could already live with Verdana italics but it's simply not available. For instance where does Xara WD store these font families ?

Default Re: Way to circumvent font limitations of pop-up styles ?

It was rumored that this might be addressed at some point soon. Not soon enough for me.

But the work around and work is the operative word, is to make your own menus and sub-menus using layers. The results can be quite pleasing. I did this example years ago but it shows what you can accomplish by building your own menus. http://gwpriester.com/menu-test/

Each layer can have its own MouseOver layer. Just make sure that the name of the layer starts with MouseOver but also contains something to make it different. For example, MouseOver-1, MouseOver-2, etc.

Info Re: Way to circumvent font limitations of pop-up styles ?

You can "replace" the sub-menu font with any font you have on your machine with a few tricks.

I would play safe and also include the font on a page somewhere else; it can even be hidden.
    Create your NavBar with a sub-menu of Georgia.
    Search index_htm_files/xr_text.css for "font-family:Georgia".
    Copy that entire line and place in the Website Code Head with style wrapping:
    Code:
    <style>
    #xr_nb3 {font-family:Georgia; font-size:21px;}
    </style>
    and replace Georgia with your require font (e.g., #xr_nb3 {font-family:Rubik Black; font-size:50px;}, where I have also changed the font size.

To quickly view the contents of index_htm_files/xr_text.css, Preview and choose one of the available browsers and in the address bar, replace ../page.htm with ../ index_htm_files/xr_text.css.

I use Chrome and F12 Developer Tools as I find this easier.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I couldn't find #xr_nb3 in the xr_text.css file Acorn.

However I found #xr_nb1 in the xr_main.css file (no #xr_nb3) and pasting the following into the site head:

#xr_nb1 {font-family:Architects Daughter; font-size:14px;};
    This worked for me. Perhaps it's NavBar dependent?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 02 February 2019 at 05:02 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Info Re: Way to circumvent font limitations of pop-up styles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I couldn't find #xr_nb3 in the xr_text.css file Acorn.
    However I found #xr_nb1 in the xr_main.css file (no #xr_nb3) and pasting the following into the site head:
    This worked for me. Perhaps it's NavBar dependent?
    Yes, Egg it is NavBar specific, which is why I describe searching for the font, copy the line and change as required.

There is probably a coding that could be done but Xara should open out the Font drop downs in the sub-menus for more easily...

I will say it again, the Xara NavBar approach is wrong and needs to be revisited - using images for buttons & text is not the future.

Acorn

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Couldn't agree more Acorn. As we're on about navbars you supplied a link couple of years back to an excellent css navbar creator which I've lost the link to since a computer crash. Could you supply it again please?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Couldn't agree more Acorn. As we're on about navbars you supplied a link couple of years back to an excellent css navbar creator which I've lost the link to since a computer crash. Could you supply it again please?
    Egg, I think this one - https://cssportal.com/css3-menu-generator/.

Acorn

Thanks Acorn, that's the one
    Egg