Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to print A3 as two A4 to be glued together?

Hi,

I need to print a big table to A3 format as the two A4 to be glued together manually. I am aware of technical printer margins, and that the result will actually be not exactly A3.

The question basically is whether Xara (Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 16.0.0.55306 DL x64 Oct 26 2018) supports splitting a bigger image to more pages to be glued together.

If the functionality is not supported, how would you simulate it?

(I am not sure, but I thing that some really old Xara supported it. Or was it a different editor? It is somewhere here in the forum, probably; however, I did not find.)

Thanks and have a nice time,
    Petr

Default Re: How to print A3 as two A4 to be glued together?

Some printers have a "Borderless" option which prints to the edge of the page. This might be something to try.

if I uderstand you correctly:

copy your image to a second page

on first page align your image to top, bottom and left margin of print area
    on second page align your image to top, bottom and right margin of print area

this assumes that your image is exactly the hight of the printable area, and exactly twice the printable area in width so half is printed and half is not

if width is less you may need to slice the image at the middle and use the two halves aligned centrally on the pages

unless your printer will print to edge of page you will need to manually trim the paper if you need the prints without margin

EDIT - this also assumes you are printing portrait A4 to make landscape A3 - if not adjust accordingly
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'd convert the text to an object, and slice it in two. I'd then prep a document of A4 size to include a cut-off area, you intend to cut off after printing. Then print both halves, cut off the cut-off area and put them together.

Of course, because I have access to a 36 inch wide Canon iPF760, I'd print out the whole intended size without a need for cutting in half, but you have to.

You could try making your A3 document a PDF, then print from Adobe Reader and use the page scaling option to tile large pages.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Place 2 lines, one horizontal, one vertical that go edge to edge - print
    Measure the bit that that didn't get printed (printer margin)
    Use the rulers in Xara to make sure the 2 halves of your A3 document fit within the printable area - print both and break out the sticky tape

I have WDP so had to simulate an A4, but you'll get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	123210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forum2.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	123211

Hi Petr.
    I have an earlier version of this software which works...they have a trial version.
    https://www.ronyasoft.com/products/proposter/
    ~Fred

further to what I said earlier - if you don't want to split the image you can use a mask of same colour as the paper you are printing on - one way to do that is to clone the image set the clone to the paper colour and resize clone to to 50 % of the image in the larger aspect only [width] and align it to top bottom and left edge for one image copy and right edge for the second image copy then align each image to their pages [all alignments done with the align tool as before]

never tried printing from adobe reader - I would imagine you would need to be careful with the settings if the image is more than just text and lines
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ...never tried printing from adobe reader - I would imagine you would need to be careful with the settings if the image is more than just text and lines
    I've not done this for years, but this is what the Adobe Reader print dialogue looks like when printing an A3 page on to two A4 portrait pages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a3-printed-on-two-a4-pages.jpg 
Views:	1440 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	123217
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

thanks - never used AR for that myself

if it's just a two A4 side by side, the xara way I mentioned is how I do it, often necessary with tables and the like - I would only look further afield if I wanted say an A4 booklet printed on A3 sheets which can be complicated; one side of one A3 is straightforward
    Nothing lasts forever...