Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What a shame...

Default Re: What a shame...

This thread is not about how to do it in Xara, but, I couldn't resist seeing how long it would take!!!
    So...
    I had a go.
    I'm sure anyone who uses Xara, knows it's pretty easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toro.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	123209  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    This thread is not about how to do it in Xara, but, I couldn't resist seeing how long it would take!!!
    So...
    I had a go.
    I'm sure anyone who uses Xara, knows it's pretty easy.
    I've never really dabbled with Affinity Designer, but it took me about ten minutes to get something similar and if I had to do it again I'd take five minutes at most.

It's just three circles, two with radial fill, one with a flat fill. My colours are wrong and I could play with it to get closer to your example.

The message is that Xara is no quicker for making this than affinity and it should be pretty simple in any package. Three circles. I didn't bother with the shadow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ad.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	123212

My thoughts are like the above posts Rik,
    It isn't a great tut video to begin with and I prefer to have no sound on and like many, have on screen displaying their actions.
    If I don't get something, I rewind/pause the video to see what was done.
    The comments you received were from a single user and doesn't mean that all affinity users are like that.
    Like Mike I have seen some rude people come by on the Affinity fora but overall it's a most engaging bunch and with developers participating as well.
    Would like to see more of that engagement here too but due to attitude of xara,this forum has reached a point where only some regulars and drive-by-questioners come.
    Now that's what I would call a shame.

On the subject of affinity software, I recently received an email from affinity showing what people are doing using affinity - designed to inspire me. There's nothing like that coming from Magix and TG/XaraXone used to sort of fulfil that role but no longer does.

At the end of 2018 affinity showed it's user figures - 1.4 MILLION - grown from 200,000 in 2015.

This year I cancelled my Adobe Cloud renewal. I'll see how long I can live without it.

About the only thing that Xara does that Affinity can't do is make a website.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

There are more things than websites that Xara does that Affinity can do ... yet. Contours is one that serif says will come but it's not there yet. Each new update brings something more though to affinity. I still use Designer Pro and it will always be a great tool, However the Affinity programs are going to be the ones the world is watching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I think the video shows enough to get the idea what to do - but then I am reasonably familiar with the interface, and watched it on a 22" screen (with the sound muted!).

Maybe this tutorial would have been better planned out and presented as a static step-by-step list of illustrated actions, but that’s probably more effort than just making a screen recording.

There are a few other people that make tutorial videos. I quite like the ones by Isabel Illustration (Isabel Aracama) which often have her chatting away explaining what she’s doing and why. I also like Egg’s for the same reason!

I agree that The TG forum is friendly and helpful, but like others I do wish that Xara themselves would contribute more to the discussions, particularly when it’s about a specific issue that only Xara can answer - like when are we going to get the next update?

There’s a lot to like about Affinity Designer, but PGD/DPX still remain fast, versatile design tools for those (Windows users) lucky enough to come across them.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree jono. Video tutorials though, if they are good ones are more work than just a quick screen capture. They require planning, scripts, rehearsal and then there is editing. I usually edit out mistakes, pauses and unexpected things that crop up like phone ringing, etc.

There are also ways to use Xara and Affinity products together. Affinity photo can be set as an external editor for easily transferring photos back and forth. And if you want to have contoured or blended objects in affinity create them in Xara, convert to editable shapes and export as svg. Same for molded text. Then import the svg into affinity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    That video is crap and I should know, I excel at them
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.