Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Designer Pro X10 started hanging upon first attempt at typing text

Hello fellow Xaranians. I recently noticed a weird thing going on with my version of Xara DPX10. After opening the app to commence work, every time I attempt to use the type tool and begin typing, the program goes white and freezes for about 2 minutes. It always comes back and unfreezes and then everything is as right as rain. What could be causing this?

As a side note, it also will tell me that certain fonts are not installed when I know indubitably that they are. I even reinstalled them in my fonts folder and still the message appears every time I open a file in Xara that employs said fonts. Weird AND ANNOYING as heck.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X10 started hanging upon first attempt at typing text

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    Hello fellow Xaranians. I recently noticed a weird thing going on with my version of Xara DPX10. After opening the app to commence work, every time I attempt to use the type tool and begin typing, the program goes white and freezes for about 2 minutes. It always comes back and unfreezes and then everything is as right as rain. What could be causing this?
    As a side note, it also will tell me that certain fonts are not installed when I know indubitably that they are. I even reinstalled them in my fonts folder and still the message appears every time I open a file in Xara that employs said fonts. Weird AND ANNOYING as heck.
    Any thoughts?
    Our collective answer is usually to right-click on the Xara Desktop icon or run the executable as Administrator.
    This allows Xara to rejig all its associated libraries (DLL).

I assume this happens on all and any design files and that it is only, exclusively, when you type all and any text.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X10 started hanging upon first attempt at typing text

I would guess that there is a problem with the font that Xara is trying to load.

Check which font finally loads and then uninstall/reinstall the font through Windows. I'm not sure if you can choose the default font in Xara, but if so, you could choose a different one to see if that eliminates the problem.

The default these days I think is Open Sans which in and of itself should not cause a problem. Might have been a corrupted install. Or not. But Ran as Administrator is always the first thing to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I would guess that there is a problem with the font that Xara is trying to load.

Check which font finally loads and then uninstall/reinstall the font through Windows. I'm not sure if you can choose the default font in Xara, but if so, you could choose a different one to see if that eliminates the problem.
    Thank you. I will try that.

td

Thank you sir...I will look into that.

All great thoughts. Thanks!
    I have narrowed it down to the Serif family of fonts.
    Re-installed them through Windows.... same error.
    Will try Admin approach tomorrow.

td

I'm not sure if you can choose the default font in Xara
    Chris, you can change the default font within a template.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Chris, you can change the default font within a template.
    I never use templates so I can't comment as to whether that would impact anything.
    My thoughts ran along the lines of my WDP always loads Open Sans (as Gary said) if it's the first time you use text in a new project, and it does go 'mmmmmm- ok' before it responds, and my com is pretty powerful. I also had a font installed called (something-or-other) Grunge. Now that bad boy would either load, go non responsive or force Xara to close depending on which way the wind was blowing. I uninstalled it and thought no more about it. A while later I installed the same font without thinking...and it worked fine. Hence the 'Identify - Uninstall - Reinstall' thought pattern.

I've been trying to logically run through my mind how Xara would call a particular font, but gave up and posted this instead. I got as far as 'if it's only a problem when accessing the font(s), then it's very likely not Xara itself, but the path it takes to call said fonts.'

I never use templates so I can't comment as to whether that would impact anything.
    Hi Chris I think you misunderstand me. As far as I'm aware you can't open Xara without using a template. From what I remember Xara's default template is A4 Portrait, so clicking on the new icon would load this template.

If you then create a line of normal text it defaults to Open Sans. However if you alter this text to Arial Black say, change the font size to 16pt and fill colour to Blue then Update Normal Text+ you can delete this text line and go:

File/Save Template.
    Then delete this xar file as you no longer need it.
    The next time you select an A4 Template the default Normal Text will be Arial Black, 16pt, fill colour Blue. No more Open Sans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	123201  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host