Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How restrict text search scope to current page?

Hi,

I'd appreciate your help!
    In this tutorial (http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...kbook%202.html) the "find and replace" dialog has the scope "current page".
    However, in my XDP16 "current page" isn't available, as shown in this snapshot: https://www.evernote.com/l/AebwvNahJ...zkRwH5K7kvHOg/
    So, In XDP16, how to restrict text search to the current page?

Thank you!
    Carlos

Default Re: How restrict text search scope to current page?

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    Hi,

I'd appreciate your help!
    In this tutorial (http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...kbook%202.html) the "find and replace" dialog has the scope "current page".
    However, in my XDP16 "current page" isn't available, as shown in this snapshot: https://www.evernote.com/l/AebwvNahJ...zkRwH5K7kvHOg/
    So, In XDP16, how to restrict text search to the current page?

Thank you!
    Carlos
    Carlos, in checking, the closest I can get for you is to select the Layer(s) the texts are on and pick Solo mode. An All pages search then only searches for that Layer (and therefore Page).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for replying Acorn!

a) I couldn't select multiple layers and apply "solo" mode to all layers at once. How to do that?
    I have to select/solo multiple layers because my page has many text distributed through many layers. Then the search in current page would work.

b) Since the Xara Xone tutorial show searching "current page" dialog, was such search optionremoved from current XDP releases? Nonsense...

Best,
    Carlos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evernote_2019-01-22_17-39.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	123192

I did this tutorial before many of us were born. Just insert the text cursor in the text you want to search and press Ctrl + F (as in Find). I just finished formatting a 160 page book and used Find and Replace dozens of times, not only to find and replace specific words, but when working with the author it was easy to find and revise a specific occurrence of a phase, for example "the red Volvo" using this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I did this tutorial before many of us were born. Just insert the text cursor in the text you want to search and press Ctrl + F (as in Find). I just finished formatting a 160 page book and used Find and Replace dozens of times, not only to find and replace specific words, but when working with the author it was easy to find and revise a specific occurrence of a phase, for example "the red Volvo" using this feature.
    Gary, OP asked to restrict to the current page. If you just want to search and replace what you can see and not also on all 160 pages then there is no other current approach.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

As I said.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	current text flow.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	123195  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    As I said.
    Gary, I am not wishing to be a pedant but "Current text flow" is just that.

If I have 100 separate text boxes across a page, that is 100 distinct text flows.

Acorn

Thanks all of you for the replies!

I've learned more about searching, however it seems XDP isn't capable of searching just the "current page", right?

@acorn workflow to solo layer and then search is handy, but in my case I have text spread through many layers under same page. Since XDP seems not be able to select multiple layers and solo all of them at once, no way to search just the "current page" through this method, right?

@gwpriester Xara Xone tutorial, there is in the search dialog the option "current page". Was such search option removed from current XDP releases? I mean, did Xara downgraded the search functionalities?

Best,
    Carlos

Carlos - I suspect if a useful feature was removed it was because it was not working properly, it caused a crash, or the code conflicted with some zippy new feature. I will move this thread to Dear Xara and see if we can get one of the developers to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    Thanks all of you for the replies!
    @acorn workflow to solo layer and then search is handy, but in my case I have text spread through many layers under same page. Since XDP seems not be able to select multiple layers and solo all of them at once, no way to search just the "current page" through this method, right?
    Carlos, you are right. There is nothing that makes it simple for you.

Acorn